cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One PDM but Two DBMS

0 Kudos

Hello,

I would like to model one PDM, which is used by 2 different DBMS(Oracle & MS SQL).

I'm using the repository for generating chnage scripts, but getting error if i try to compare different dbms.

any ideas?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry, Bernd, but you're going to need multiple PDMs. If you develop a PDM for Oracle, then change the DBMS to SQL Server, the underlying metamodel and functionality of the PDM will change, and you'll lose (possibly temporarily) anything specific to the old DBMS.

I suggest you actually have three PDMs, each with their own version history.

• PDM A is the master design PDM, and is never used to update databases directly. Set the DBMS 'language' to something you'll never want to generate, such as ANSI Level 2.
  • PDM B and PDM C (one for each DBMS) - these are the PDMs you actually use to manage the databases, containing DBMS-specific artefacts, and also anything unique to a given database.

PDM B and PDM C are always generated from PDM A.

0 Kudos

Hello George,

okay. This way will work, but how can i "inherit" the tables from PDM A to PDM B and PDM C?

kind regards

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you generate from PDM A to PDM B and from PDM A to PDM C, B and C will contain the same diagrams, packages, tables, columns and views (plus some other objects) as PDM A.

Try this out - see the 'generate physical data model' option on the Tools menu.

0 Kudos

Hello George,

this approach works once, but how can I synchronise changes from PDM A to PDMB/C, if I change something?

kind regards

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You generate from PDM A again, in update mode, and choose the differences you want to apply.

Answers (0)