Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect third Party System to BI 7.5 on HANA

udo_martens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

i want to send third party data into a table of BI 7.5 on HANA. Which possibilities do I have?

Which integration technologies are available with BI 7.5 on HANA? IDoc, RFC, Proxy, SOAP, JDBC? Or others? (file import is wished)

Which one is most recommendable?

Does anybody have experience with BI integration via PI and can provide some technical details?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, each comment is appreciated!

Udo

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member187587
Contributor
0 Kudos

What type of a 3rd party system are we looking at?

Cloud? on-premise?

the application integration capabilities should lead the solution as SAP BI has various technologies to implement.

Also, the business scenario should be defined (transactional,master data).

udo_martens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nimrod Gisis wrote:

>>What type of a 3rd party system are we looking at?

storing xml files on ftp server

>>Cloud? on-premise?

on-premise

>>the application integration capabilities should lead the solution as SAP BI has various technologies to implement.

Exactly. So can you recommend a technology?

>>Also, the business scenario should be defined (transactional,master data).

I want to load the (master) data direct into a table of the BI system, that all.

Thanks for your answer, Nimrod.

So - with these details, can you recommend a technology? Are traditional integration technologies like RFC or Proxy possible or do I have to watch out for something else?

/Udo

former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello UDO,

RFC should help you, Below is one example for your reference.

SAPTechnical.COM - Integrating BI with PI(XI)

We had a requirement for HANA integration with SAP PI, we used SAP JDBC adapter.

One more link I found for BI Integration

udo_martens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raghuraman,

thanks a lot for the answer.

Can you provide any details regarding the JDBC solution?

Any problems with the driver?

How did you access the tables?

/Udo

former_member187587
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Udo,

Apologies for the late response.

I would suggest to check the option of not using SAP PI at all but rather something like the  BI process-chain with csv extractor.

Master data might be too big to be handled using PI which is an ESB.

An ETL like tool would be better.SAP BI have them.

On the BI side I always prefer using standard BAPI or better an Idoc (if exists) as this is a pure a-Sync process.

Splitting the rows to multiple Proxies on the BI side also possible.

If this is a custom table then a Jdbc directly to the BI table on the BI side....so the scenario would look like process chain with a csv file on one hand and jdbc on the BI.the process chain will monitor the loading process.

This might fit https://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw74/helpdata/en/57/31d865d581060fe10000000a42189c/frameset.htm

udo_martens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nimrod,

If this is a custom table then a Jdbc directly to the BI table on the BI side....so the scenario would look like process chain with a csv file on one hand and jdbc on the BI.the process chain will monitor the loading process.

csv file reading is not wished by the customer, but PI JDBC receiver adapter would be a good alternative. Do you have any details regarding JDBC input? Was it hard to get the right driver? Do you have any experience to share?

/Udo

former_member187587
Contributor
0 Kudos

You should check if BI has an XML file extractor.

I still believe PI is not yet the right tool here, unless BI don't have the tools.

Regarding the JDBC - this inserts into the BI tables can be done using ABAP program wrapped in a proxy, so no JDBC will be needed.

former_member187587
Contributor
0 Kudos

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw75/helpdata/en/f3/a10a63626b4674a7b00eb86f75ff79/content.htm?frameset=...
I think this sap.help link can be a good starting point.

Its the definitions of source systems on the BI HANA 7.5.

Check with your 3rd party system whether one of those is relevant.

Only then, I will go with PI.

Even then , with PI implementation, I suggest a PROXY on the BI side and not direct JDBC because of :

1. Flexibility of the implementation.
  2. Table locks.
  3. Update,Insert,Delete handling of records ( if needed, depends how duplicates are handled)

Answers (0)