Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Core Data Services Vs regular modeling practices

shyam_uthaman
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I was reading a bit on CDS and was curious as to what the use cases are.

What I read was that views and tables can also be created by CDS methods.

Now this creates 2 questions in my mind.

1. Tables - What is the difference between creating an HDB table (which is my current practice) vs a CDS table. Do they have different use cases or is one better than the other in some way?

2. Views - What's the difference between creating a table function (which is my current practice for requirements which graphical views can't fulfill) and creating a CDS view? Again,  do they have different use cases or is one better than the other in some way?

Thanks a lot for your time in answering this question.

Regards,

Shyam

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

muthuram_shanmugavel2
Contributor
0 Kudos
shyam_uthaman
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks. And Table functions replaced scripted calculation views. Do CDS views replace table functions now?

0 Kudos

they are not completely replaced but SAP prefers CDS to HDBTABLE and table function to SQL scripted views.

May be replaced in future.

Regards,

Gopi.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shyam,

CDS has one main purpose. Transportability of the objects between the systems.

Lets say your landscape is somewhat similar as below

Dev --> Quality --> Prod

A table can be created using the actual .hdbtable method(Method 1) as well as the CDS method(Method 2)

But,if you do it using the Method 1 in the Dev system, the same table has to be created again in the Quality as well again in the Prod system.

Whereas, in CDS method, the table can be directly transported to the corresponding systems.

This is one of the main reasons why we prefer to use the CDS method over the other.

Feel free to ask if you have any further questions about this.

Thanks,

Anoo

shyam_uthaman
Participant
0 Kudos

HDB tables are also easily transportable.