cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Demand planning with external tool

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

Can someone tell me what are the external tools does companies use to do forecast as a part of DP. I read online that they use Dream Works Smoothie to do statistical forecasting , is the APO forecasting feature that cumbersome?? and how to they import the results to APO DP??

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

AMIT.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

satish_waghmare3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Amit,

As you know, there are many tools available in the Market. Some of the names which I know are as below -

SAP APO and SAP's IBP-Demand, Oracle Demantra, SAS Analytics, JDA's Manugistics and  i2 Demand Management, Forecastpro, Logility, Futurion, Aspentech, Autobox, Many Others and of course,  there is everyone's favorite MS-Excel (How can I forget that…?)

One of the important criteria in choosing a forecasting software package is what modeling capabilities that particular software has. To answer this question, you need to have a good understanding of what modeling capabilities your business needs.

In my opinion, if your demand profile is pretty flat, you can get away with some simple tools.

On the other extreme, you may have SKUs with volatile and erratic demand profiles which requires the right tool with the correct/ proven set of statistical models and power. to do the job.

Typically, common criteria's for evaluating software packages : Cost – Can we afford it?   2. User friendly    3. Clarity   4.  Speed and Performance   5. Content – Can it solve our business problem?    6. Reporting – Can I produce good KPI reports/analytics?

Remember : Technology or software alone are not the answer. There is no perfect solution, Tool can solve the bulk of your problems adequately, but not perfectly.  Well defined processes,  Well designed solution and Well trained People are the key to success.

There are many ways you can import data into SAP APO -

1. Upload functionality within Planning Book.

2. Flat File to APO-BW (Infocube) -to Planning Area using TSCUBE.

3. APO-DP Excel Add-in

4. Z Programs

Hope this will help.

Thank you

Satish Waghmare

satish_waghmare3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello AMIT

If your question is answered, SCN practice recommeds to close the thread with marking the answer.

Thank you

Satish Waghmare