cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle DB Upgrade Aborted - Restart Picking new Oracle Home

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

we are upgrading oracle from 11g to 12c on our Netweaver 7.4 Application.

During Upgrade after completing pre-upgrade steps, I got error that control can not be locked.

I checked and found that online backup was running which put DB in backup mode.

Now when is not backup mode and I am running DBUA, It is picking 12c as Oracle home not Oracle 11g.

Not sure..which file DBUA updated during running Oracle Preparation steps that made DBUA think that my current Database now is 12c.

I also tried to revert my oracleinventory directory backup but that also did not help.

Please suggest how can we resolve this issue.

Regards,

Shivam

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have a look at your oratab file. Maybe /etc/oratab, or may be a different path for some flavours of Unix.

You will have to reset ORACLE_HOME in this file.

regards

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member235680
Active Participant
0 Kudos

hi Shivam,

The Oracle structure should be like this

$ORACLE_HOME for Oracle-specific objects with the default directory /oracle/<DBSID>/<Oracle version>

So Oracle Version should be home to new oracle... Since you are upgrading so not sure why you want put 12c binaries in 11g home...

Also have a look on white paper below;

http://www.oracle.com/us/products/database/oradb12c-sap-exadata-wp-2773792.pdf

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhi,

I think, I did not put my question right.

My DB Upgrade is not completed yet.

I ran dbua and when it was 19% complete, I got error and I have to abort the DB Upgrade.

Now I am running again DBUA and it is picking Oracle 12c as home which is not upgraded yet and asking me to downgrade the database.

former_member235680
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Ok. So what happens if you let DBUA to downgrade it. May be possible that it removes all 12c files and give you option to start a fresh..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shivam, best to check the env parameters. Probably they are already pointing to Oracle 12

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Already tried that, But that did not work as well..as it need Oracle 12c to up completely installed and setup so when I click next, it gives error Oracle 12c is running.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eddy,

I already checked environment variable looks fine.

Even when we run DBUA in documentation mode, It picks correct Oracle source and Target but while running actual upgrade it is giving error.

former_member235680
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Which oracle is running on OS as of now? 11 or 12?

can you run

select * from v$instance;