cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP BEx queries specific prompt dialog calling...

former_member189979
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I am working with SAP BusinessObjects Design Studio 1.6 and I have a "Tabstrip" as a container component and it is having four tabs and each tab has an analytical component "Crosstab" or "Spreadsheet" and each tab/analytical component is having a specific SAP BEx Query.

I have a button named "Call Prompt" and whenever a user clicks on it then the specific tab/component BEx query prompts should be called. I have

searched it on "SCN" and googled it as well but could not find useful about this.

1. Firstly, as you know we will be having all variables from all four queries called in the startup of the application  (in a Prompt Dialog) merged as a default behavior of DS; how should I avoid this in my report/application?

2. How to call BEx queries specific prompts for variables whenever a user clicks on "Call Prompt" button in each tab of "Tabstrip"?

I will appreciate any assistance in this matter.

Many thanks!

Tariq Ashraf

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tariq,

In answer to your questions:

1.  To change the default merged prompt behaviour simply set the application level Merge Prompts property to false;

2.  To invoke data source specific prompt dialogues, call the openPromptDialog() method specifically for the data source instead of at the application level. e.g. DS_1.openPromptDialog(width, height).

Regards,

Mustafa.

Martin-Pankraz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry Mustafa, the commit of my answer was delayed so that our answers overlap a little.

You are just too fast for me 😉

Kind regards

Martin

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not to worry, Martin.  I've been involved in concurrent posts with delayed commits too

Your answer raises some interesting points which I'd like to confirm with you though, specifically point 2.  The openPromptDialog() method can be applied at two levels as follows:

i)  APPLICATION.openPromptDialog()

ii) <DataSource>.openPromptDialog()

I would have expected option (ii) to display only the variables that are specific to the data source.  Is that not how it works in practice?

Regards,

Martin.

Martin-Pankraz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You are right option ii) would do the trick. I wasn't aware of that possibility. It was probably added with 1.5 or 1.6.

Thanks for the heads up.

Kind regards

Martin

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Martin-Pankraz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tariq,

1) Can you be a bit more specific regarding your request? BEx variables are processed in a container. If you don't want your BEx queries to share the variable values coming from Design Studio, switch off the Merge prompts property (top level application object on your outline of your dashboard -> Prompts). Having done that you can work with each data source individually. They will show up with individual identfiers on the standard prompt dialog too.

Be aware that all variables of all currently loaded BEx queries will be shown. So the user has to determine which values to alter.

2) The only way to do this individually without the standard prompt dialog is building your own screen and utilizing the Design Studio Scripting methods setVariableValue and setVariableValueExt etc. Have a look at the posts below as a starting point regarding those scripts:

Let us know how it goes.

Kind regards

Martin