cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inbound delivery and goods receipt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is a process question and not a technical question. I know we can do a GR for and an inbound delivery (IBD) and then do the putaway or we could also do the putaway for the IBD and then do the GR. I am trying to find out when would one use the putaway first and then the GR process? If I get 10 pallets and then do the putaway into my warehouse and then do the GR and while doing the GR I realize that the pallets have an issue then I have wasted all the putaway effort. So why would one use this process ? Isnt doing the GR first, then the inspection and then the putaway a better process ?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you would do the putaway first to prepare and reserve bin space for the goods to come.

It has its limitations beside of confusing the users.

best you start reading help.sap.com documenta, easy to find from Google, just copy/paste this search term: inbound delivery putaway before goods receipt

raghug
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Definitely agreed... here are some more confusing things to add to your reading list. "Pre-plan storage units", LT0A and ID-Point functionality. I have never made the square peg - round hole work natively for a customer, but I am sure there is someone, somewhere who is using it successfully.

raghug
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If the warehouse has single-touch unloading and put away process, the material handlers are going to realize something is wrong with that pallet while putting it away. If you have already done the goods receipt, here you will have to go reverse the GR for that one pallet.

Personally, in this situation, I would have a custom RF program that does a simultaneous GR & Put away once the user scans the necessary information off the pallet.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

The sequence would depend on the specific process and requirements in Question. In general it is like this

If you use LE-WM ie WM part of ERP, then the sequence doesn't matter as long as you don't have Handling Unit/SU Management. Once SU/HU comes into picture cancellations can get complicated.

Similarly if you use DWM, It will always be Putaway first especially if you have HU and then GR which get replicated back to ERP.

Regards

Jayaram