cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import layout from Sparx XMI file

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Anybody has some experience import Sparx CMD file to PD?

The layout in PD is not preserved after importing from Sparx.

Sparx EA exporter includes diagram layouts in the XMI file, does anybody know if PD have any form of layout import?

Thanks,

Laura

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

According to the PD help file - "XMI only supports the transfer of objects". The XMI spec version 2.5.1 states "There are no symbols defined in this International Standard." (see XMI 2.5.1).

I assume that Sparx are using their own variant of XMI, as did Rational before them. It should be possible to build an XML Import in PowerDesigner to bring in more stuff from Sparx, not sure how easy it would be to import diagram symbols though.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member185317
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Laura,

George is correct that PD's XMI Importer is based on the transfer of objects, not the symbols. The symbols are rendered using PD's normal graphic engine based on the imported metadata.

One option depending on how many models you have, you can take a look at our technical partner, Toolbus, who sells a set of coverters from one tool to another. Convert Enterprise Architect to PowerDesigner Data Models (CDM/LDM/PDM) - Toolbus

HTH,

-Matt C.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi George and Matt, thank you very much for replying my question. Your answer is very helpful.  We have Toolbus for converting Oracle Designer models to PD, which the layout could not be preserved after conversion.

Thanks and have a nice day,

Laura

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If I remember the Oracle Designer export file format (this memory is 12 years old, so could be unreliable), it was like XMI, and did not contain any information about diagram images.

former_member185317
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Yes George, I built an Oracle Designer to PD converter many, many years ago, and it is very much like XMI without really any graphical representation information since it came directly from the repository.

-Matt C.