cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S4HANA Virtualization Error (Cannot find startdb)

former_member230000
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi.

Our system is:

SLES 11 SP4

S4HANA OP 1511

Has anyone virtualized S4HANA?  I have successfully installed S4HANA the original VMs works perfectly.  With the original system I follow these steps.

First, I startup the HANADB

1. login as root
  2. Navigate to: /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/
  3. Execute: ./sapcontrol -nr <instance number> -function Start

Second, we start up the application server

1. login as <sid>adm
  2. Execute: sapstart all

However, When I try to start up a cloned system I can't start the application server.  I get the following errors:

To troubleshoot I have looked at the following so far:

• I noticed the ethernet controllers was weird because there was already a VM with the same IP.  I deleted and reset the ethernet controllers and still get the same error as above.  I also try to use "startsap hostname" and get the same error.
  • I have also tried to manually set 192.168.1.xxx to hostname.example.com in the etc/host file.  I still get the same error.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member205280
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

First of all, make sure your HANA DB is actually up and running without error, the command sap control -nr <insatnce_number> StartSystem HDB only send the start command to sapstartsrv program, it doesn't guarantee you the system will get started if there's something wrong, you can check the HANA instance by using the following command:

sapcontrol -nr <instance_number> -function GetSystemInstanceList

sapcontrol -nr <instance_number> -function GetProcessList

If any of result is not GREEN, then your HANA isn't running well. You can check the trace log files at the following location

/usr/sap/<SID>/HDBxx/<hostname>/trace

If your HANA runs without problem, then I suggest you to run the following command and check the log file at the S/4HANA Instance server with <sid>add user. Share the log file here to help us better understand your problem.

R3trans -d

Regards,

Michael

bharathyp
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is it possible to share the trc file

also check if the below two commands show correct values

hostname

hostname -f

Are DB and Application running on the same server?

From the error, first obvious thing I can deduce is that, it can't find the "startdb" command, mountpoint? ping if on another VM? did you try these things?

Best Regards,

Bharath

Please mark either as helpful or answered if this message helped you in resolving the issue.