cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Platinum Top Contributor ? :)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If possible I'd like your opinions about some changes to TOP contributor reward system

the main idea is: Platinum Top Contributor reward

That is Platinum Top Contributor in area…

What would make you eligible to get such a award:

model 1:

a) Being a three time Top Contributor in the same area

Why not being a three time the same Top Contributor number ? (like 3 times No 1)

a) as you cannot predict which No. you can have (sometimes very little difference between 1 and 2 or 2 and 3)

b) imagine someone who was two times No 3. and in the 3rd year he was No. 1

b) you’d have to create lots of badges which will be given quite rarely (for 1 , 2 , 3 place)

so creating just one for each area would be enough I believe

also TOP contributor badges change every year and Platinum Top Contributor could be the same

in all years - it doesn't even have to be a badge in contrast to TOP contributor

model 2:

another option would be to create another model:
TOP contributor (standard meaning - bronze)
silver TOP contributor - (for being twice in the same area)
golden TOP contributor - (for being 3 times in the same area)
platinum TOP contributor - (for being 4 times in the same area)

Why create such a new reward :

a)

the most important

- to make those top contributors stay longer on SDN (remember those famous 20% that make 80% of the job?).

for exmaple in XI (my personal favourite area) every year there are two new top contributors and each year the old ones are gone

I believe it's quite similar in other areas (I remember Roberto Negro and Edwin Harpino - A.H.P tremendous activities)

so some TOP contributors still post - some don't use SDN anymore - but we (SDN community) needs them I believe

b) to create something EVEN more valueable for top contributors (so they will want to do even more)

c) it’s quite similar to SAP à senior contultant and platinum consultant

But there might be some buts too:

Why not to create it:

a) it will be very rare (not 3 x every SDN/BPX area each year)

b) some people might think – why bother for if so rare ß but read point a) in “why create” section once more

What do you think about this idea ?

Thank you for reading and comments,

Regards,

michal

-

-

<a href="https://answers.sap.com/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/06/28/xipi-faq-frequently-asked-questions"><b>XI / PI FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions</b></a>

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michal,

I completly agree with your suggestion, but One year is too long time, so I think every three months the top contributors must be revised. So it will be benefical for them and others for new talents which is one kind of encouragement to them. What do you say???????

Pavani

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

>>>>but One year is too long time,

more then one year (3 years to get it)

but one year is really not a lot

and my suggestion is to keep top contributors

for much longer that's the main idea

1. I believe the top contributor time should be the same - one year for TOP

and much more for platinum (as you can get your reward on teched)

2. I wouldn't like to make it <b>very</b> popular as it would probably loose it's value

+ most other rewards (Microsoft etc) are awarded on anual basis

thanks for your comment

Regards,

michal

-

<a href="/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/06/28/xipi-faq-frequently-asked-questions"><b>XI / PI FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions</b></a>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michal,

See why I suggested 3 months is every person are contributing very actively in the forums but I dont know why they are getting demotivated at one particular stage. And not able to contribute, I feel may be because not getting proper response from the Users & the SDN Team members.

Regards

Pavani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michal~

Agree with you. Over the past three years if you look back, many people have come and gone, and I doubt if its because of the motovation.

I see SDN starting the Contributor spotlight in a big way. If your model 1 is accepted, I certainly think it makes a lot of sense in bringing forth the pride across community members. At the end of 3 months, if the spotlight is brought on the contributor, Im sure it provides a new lease of life.

But I certainly dont think that getting appropriate responses from the members of the SDN team or the community is becoming an issue.

So Model 1 is what I completely endorse.

Thank you and best regards

Kartik Iyengar~

Former Member
0 Kudos

I can see where some of you would say "hey SDN team pay attention" to these people but with so much happening each and every day on SDN it's hard for us (only a couple of us) to really keep up.

We used to do the Contributor Spotlights but got little to no feedback, then we implemented the Community Reporters (all of which is in the Community Wiki space) but only one reporter has done anything this year.

Another reward level would not really change that but would actually end up taking away more time that we don't have to really "talk" to who is who in the community. Is the idea another label for another prize or is it to bring out the best in the community and for everyone to hear about it?

What about a completely new model?

4) More of you sign up to be a community reporter and report on the coolness of each of the areas you are in? Thus becoming an extended arm to the community team and helping us reach even more people than we are now?

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

+Why create such a new reward :

a) the most important - to make those top contributors stay longer on SDN (remember those famous 20% that make 80% of the job?).

for exmaple in XI (my personal favourite area) every year there are two new top contributors and each year the old ones are gone

I believe it's quite similar in other areas (I remember Roberto Negro and Edwin Harpino - A.H.P tremendous activities)

so some TOP contributors still post - some don't use SDN anymore - but we (SDN community) needs them I believe

b) to create something EVEN more valueable for top contributors (so they will want to do even more)

c) it’s quite similar to SAP à senior contultant and platinum consultant :)+

In response to the above, I have to say, that the driving force behind most of the top contributors here on SDN is to help their peers. If a Top Contributor slows or stops in his contributions, it is either one of two things, 1) he simply doesn't get anything out of it anymore( the feeling you get when you help someone) or 2) he is not contributing due to lack of availibility, meaning that maybe his employer has cut him off from doing so during work hours, or the work load is simply too much and there is not time for contributing.

I'm not sure how your suggestions would help in this respect. Let's keep the conversation going though, and try to see the other reasons why some may not contribute anymore.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Why people move in and out at SDN (or more likely go on 'hibernate' mode)?

Though I was never a 'top contributor' (not for the lack of desire though ), I have been doing it in last two years. Sometimes I am active - posting 30 answers a day, at other times one or two a day, and sometimes taking months off.

It is a mix of things - primarily due to focus on other higher priority things, and, work-load. I don't think I have ever got 'disappointed' or bored of SDN. I am amazed of people like Rich and Bhanu who have been at it for ever, its a quality most people (including me) don't have.

There are times when people post not, but surf they do. Proof - When Roberto Negro was not posting for months on end and there was a personal congratulatory message posted in a forum about him, sure enough he turned up almost immediately to acknowledge.

As Ghaalib (the great Urdu poet) said

<i>"Go Haath Mein Zumbish Nahin, Aankhon mein to Dum Hai,

Rahne Do Abhi SaaGar-o-Meena mere Aage"</i>

A crude translation would be

Though bereft of any stirrings in hands, thirst is very much there in the eyes. Please, (for a while ) let the peg still be there in front of me!'

So there you are; there are pervert SDNers like me, who abstain but watch they must.

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

>>>> 1) he simply doesn't get anything out of it anymore( the feeling you get when you help someone)

I believe at least with this one - something more from SDN

could be a little help

BTW

sure I'm not saying that this reward will bring all TOP contributors back

but even if one or two would come back and some would stay in the future

it would be worth

anyway thanks for your opinion Rich

Regards,

michal

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

>>>>It is a mix of things - primarily due to focus on other higher priority things, and, work-load. I don't think I have ever got 'disappointed' or bored of SDN.

this reward is not supposed to change everything

it's just a way to make some people fell good

(just like we do when we receive TOP contributor award)

but in another way (since you have to wait 3 years it might mean

for you more then something for which you wait only one year)

>>>>When Roberto Negro was not posting for months on end and there was a personal congratulatory message posted in a forum about

I know I rememeber that too

my exmaple was more general - just wanted to show

how stars like Roberto become a little bit more quiet stars )

Regards,

michal

-

<a href="/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/06/28/xipi-faq-frequently-asked-questions"><b>XI / PI FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions</b></a>

athavanraja
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michal,

thanks for bringing up this subject. I too strongly feel that "something" needs to be done to retain good contributors (not necessarily top). I personaly dont want to see this thread just revolving around the two model which you proposed but to bring up more ideas.

Thanks again.

Regards

Raja

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

these are just my suggestions - feel free to propose anything more

Regards,

michal

suresh_datti
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Porbably something along the lines of <a href="https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/Community/Great+Contributors">Great Contributors</a> needs to be put on the main page...

~Suresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

and what about awarding cross posters, people not using the search and those trying to game the system also?

I'd suggest a strontium or uranium award

anton

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

we're talking about people who contribute to SDN

not those who don't

Regards,

michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

How about a Lawrencium award - Top contributors glow in the dark for 4 hours before turning to lead.

Not so silly, why not give points a half-life?

Gareth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michal~

The very fact that you have so many posts to the thread proves the point that SDN is still lucrative to dinosaurs.

And yes, I agree with Rich, if someone is on a lull, its just a short shift in priorities, I can speak for myself.

And your Model 1 will only bolster the motivation factor and a great idea. (Though the very premise of lack of motivation itself is debatable).

Thank you and best regards

Kartik Iyengar~

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

At the other hand, we have already such an award. Each year, all top contributors get honoured at TechEd during the Jam session. That also includes the top X over time, which you also can see at https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/topcontributors, when you choose 'Any Date'.

Eddy

-

PS. Reward the useful answers and you will get <a href="http:///people/baris.buyuktanir2/blog/2007/04/04/point-for-points-reward-yourself">one point</a> yourself!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michal,

I also agree with your views and idea.

I believe It encourge all Peers to contribute and HELP all those who required their valuable suggestion .

I had personal experience , SDN has given lot to me in term of knowledge , experience and other valuable gain .

Your views will encourage more users to participate .

Thanks for putting this first.

Take care.

Manoj Shakya.

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Michal,

><i>for exmaple in XI (my personal favourite area) every year there are two new top contributors and each year the old ones are gone :(</i>

Not this year I am still around thankfully.

I do agree with the bigger question here. There are multiple people on SDN who contribute and then somehow vanish out of the blue. What is it that demotivates these people who gave so much to the community? is it boredom or is it that they have just moved on to bigger and better things.

I can list down so many people on XI forum who were making quality contributions, people from whom I learnt so much who have all disappaeared and they were all SDN'ers even before I had resgistered on SDN which was 2 years back.

I guess this has to hold true not only for XI but across all categories here on SDN. Anything that gets back the true spirit of SDN is okie with me and if it means a Platinum Contributing system like pointed by you <i><b> or even people on SDN voting for their favorite SDN'er for each category</b></i> , etc.

Anything to bring back a list of people from whom I would still love to hear and learn along with it is ok with me and I guess probabaly the entire community as well.

Maybe we can even get a list of people who have stopped contributing , mail them personally and ask them to get back here on SDN , coz we all need a vibrant community here.

Regards

Bhavesh

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavesh,

>>>>coz we all need a vibrant community here.

this is exactly what I mean

but you also mentioned some other good points worth considering

BTW

>>>>Not this year I am still around thankfully.

you're a fortunate exception

Regards,

michal