Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sap PI Single stack vs Dual Stack

former_member290264
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

I am not able to understand that What is the difference between Single stack and Dual Stack?

I have gone through some SCN links:

but they are not that much clear can you please explain me in easy way??

Thanks,

Ravi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

GauravKant
Contributor

Hi Ravi,

In dual stack, we are using ABAP + java both while in single stack we are using only java. ABAP is no more in use for single stack.

Single Stack:

SAP PI changed the name to SAP PO(Process Orchestration) with the release 7.3 to include the additional features of SAP NetWeaver Business Process Management (nBPM), Advanced Adapter Engine Extended (AEX) and SAP NetWeaver Business Rules Management (BRM).

As developer, You will get all adapter based on JAVA. IDOC and HTTP are now IDOC_AAE and HTTP_AAE, also proxy scenario can be done using SOAP adapter XI protocol and there is no ccBPM and WS.

Data processing rate much faster than dual stack.

Single Stack have some advantages in sap pi7.3:

- imporved performance

- loose coupling

- pub/sub services

- high availabilty

- dynamic routing(content based)

- message blacklisting

- lower TCO

- faster installation and restart

However, Single Stack installation have also some limitations:

- no abap mapping

- no parameterised mapping

- no ccbpm

- only integrated cofiguration available(some time dynamiccongurations missing)

Dual Stack:

Your option is pretty open. If you need some specific interfaces to handle only java stack, still that is possible and increase the performance. Also if you have lot of existing interfaces that requires BPM interfaces, ABAP mapping , Multiple split /branching etc.

still dual stack is the better option now. Here developer decides according to the requirement.

Regards,

Gaurav

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

xavisanse
Active Participant
0 Kudos

But... don't use NWDS still being better the java applet!

former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ravi.

check the below link.

former_member290264
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello sir,

I had gone through this link before but I am not getting what it is exactly.

Thanks,

Ravi

former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Tell the exact doubt Ravi..we can help you..

former_member290264
Participant
0 Kudos

as  a developer How can I decide that in which case I have to use single stack or dual stack??? as I can do coding in Java and ABAP both.

How I have to decide in this case Single stack is more appropriate or Dual stack is more appropriate??????

GauravKant
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

There might be no future support for dual stack from SAP.  So my suggestion is to go with java only.

Regards,

Gaurav

manoj_khavatkopp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

PI system Architecture was earlier split into two division ABAP and JAVA , where components were developed using ABAP and JAVA coding and JCO connections were used to connect between these 2 divisions, So when a message processing started there were lots of to and fro connections/data flowing between ABAP and JAVA division which resulted in performance issues.

So SAP started to build all the ABAP components into JAVA i.e to remove complete ABAP objects like (IDOC adapter was an ABAP component in dual stack , now SAP provides IDOC_AAE adapter which is a java component ) so this resulted in better performance behavior.

Now to your question You need to check which architecture your PI system is built on if its Dual (but still has java components like IDOC_AAE in dual) then you can use dual stack system but build an interface which runs only on java stack(ex: IDOC_AAE -->SFTP) , if their are no JAVA components (have only IDOC adapter) then you need to use these components only

Br,

Manoj

xavisanse
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Ravi as Gaurav is saying, this is the main reason to use java stack.  Another points as with Single stack the throughouput is faster than dual stack. etc

former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

single stack of course and you can achieve all functionalities in single stack only.

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Pay attention to this link , with this information there are not any doubt to take a single installation in an upgrade or a new installation.

Regards.