cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECC move to new hardware

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello All,

i'm planning to move ECC 6 enviroment to new hardware & location.

central service & databases are hosted on the oracle cluster nodes.

there are more than one instance hosted in the same cluster.

operating system (rhel) & oracle version is not changing on the new hardware.

i Wanted to move with minimum down time and db size about 10tb.

I have following question need your advise if you have any idea and done such move in your experience. I have installed new cluster with OS with cluster configure with two nodes

1. I'm planning to images disks as-is and mount onto new cluster nodes. By doing this do I have install certral service ?

2. If I had to move one instance at time, do I have to install on each move ?

3. What Other methods I have, to move each instance to new hardware

aany thought is much appreciated

thank u in advance!

cheers

CG

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

From the SAP support and best practices point of view you need to do a system copy to move the instance to the new machine. Having said that I have moved instances from machine A to machine B by copying the SAP and Oracle filesystems without doing the installation. It works well if you know how to do it without a miss. You also need to make sure that the ownership and permissions are correct after the move. Additionally a new license should be installed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If SAP support going to be a problem,  can I use system copy only for SAP move and DB copy using oracle gaurd? what would be the downtime looks like?

Any leads/doc would be much appreciated..

thank you Reagan

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Yes you can. You should set up the SAP instance on the target system using sapinst (SWPM) target system creation using backup and restore and NOT the R3load based copy. You can get the ASCS and PAS installed and create a standby database on the target host and enable log shipping from the source system. On the final day of the move you just need to shutdown the source, get all the archived logs transferred to the target host and and apply them on the standby database before you open it. The standby system copy guide for Oracle has all the required information. It is just that the procedure is for restore and recovery which is what you will be doing as well.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's good to know. I'm new to SAP & migration!

All my application servers are virtual and i'm planning to move app servers as-is to new location.

Database and ASCS is running on physical oracle cluster with multiple instances. we have new built oracle cluster in new location. If had to move each instances seperatly, do I have to install ASCS for each time?

Thank you so much for the inputs

Cheers

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

>>If had to move each instances seperatly, do I have to install ASCS for each time?<<

You need to setup/install ASCS only when you are moving it from one host to another. You don't need to install it multiple times. After the move of database to the new host, just run sapinst and select the ASCS service to install it. For PAS (primary application server) and AAS (additional application servers) you do the same using sapinst on the host where you want them to run. The instructions are there in the guide.

Answers (0)