cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User input & Range inputs in VC ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

How can VC handle Range inputs & user fed input rather than normal method  of giving the customer a defined set of options to select from?

Is this done using Reference characteristics ? Can someone please share some steps involved, I would be interested in learning this approach. Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Flavio
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

here follows some references to the SAP Help documentation concerning Interval Values characteristic

Interval Values Allowed

In this field, you define whether you are allowed to assign interval values to a numeric characteristic, or only individual values.

Caution Caution

Dependencies can only process interval values in multiple-value characteristics.

In classification, both single-value characteristics and multiple-value characteristics can have interval values.

If you select this indicator, the Unformatted entry indicator on the Additional data tab page of interface control is set automatically, because the length of an interval entry will not conform to the format defined.

source:

Entering Basic Data - Characteristics (CA-CL-CHR) - SAP Library

You can enter intervals for numeric characteristics. Other characteristics with the time format (TIME), date format (DATE) and currency format (CURR) can also be used.

Procedure

1. Choose the tab page Values.
  2. You see the Allowed Values screen.
  3. Enter the interval that is valid for the characteristic.

Always enter intervals in the following format:

lower limit <blank> – <blank> upper limit

You must enter a blank (space character) before and after the hyphen, because otherwise the system reads the hyphen as a minus sign.

Use: 25 - 50

Do not use: 25-50

The following entries are also allowed:

< 100

< = 100

> 100

>= 100

100 -< 200

You can also use a combination of intervals and constants.

Additional values

If required, you can use the allowed values you define as possible entries, but still allow other values for your characteristic. This means that you can assign values that are not in the allowed values in characteristic value assignment functions.

source:

Entering Intervals - Characteristics (CA-CL-CHR) - SAP Library

Here, an example of an Interval Values characteristic:

For example, in the classification view of a material, the characteristic interval has been restricted to the applicable range:

Reference characteristic is another subject, actually linking the characteristic value to a data dictionary table (for instance, table MARA and field WRKST - Basic Material -). You can find more details here:

Reference Characteristics - Characteristics (CA-CL-CHR) - SAP Library

Thanks and regards,

Flavio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Flavio for the explanation.I will get back to you if i have further questions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Flavio,

Thanks for making me understand range inputs using Characteristics.

I have another question regarding to installation of SAP for using Variant Configuration.

Would you happen to know what system/space requirements would be needed to install SAP?

I want to install SAP on our local server, and I need to know the details of requirement, to know if my local server can handle this installation. What version of SAP would I need?

I would be grateful if you could help.

Thanks

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rajiv,

Its a new question , not relevant to the one with which you started the thread. Its always advisable to open a new thread for new question.

For installation refer to Software Downloads | SAP Support Portal

Please close this thread and open a new one at

Hope it will help you.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok Ritesh, I will post this question in the relevant forum.

Thanks

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks, Please close this thread.

Thanks

Ritesh

Answers (0)