Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle upgrade from 11 to 12C

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Environement - Oracle,HP-UX

I am planning to upgrade 11g to 12c for SID PFP

I have 2 sid's on the same host. One is PFG and PFP.When I go to orapfg and orapfp and give opatch lsinventory then both fetch the results from the same central inventory location /oracle/PFG/oraInventory and oraInst.loc file is also pointing to the same location.

Since I have to upgrade for PFP system,when I edit the orainst.loc file from PFG to PFP then opatch lsinventory fails.

My query is, whether 2 sid's can share the same central oraInventory.Shall I leave the same and go for PFP upgrade because I am worried if I upgrade PFP then this central inventory directory will get overwritten and all PFG entries also will be overwritten and later on PFG upgrade will be problem.

Can you please guide me

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Brindavan_M
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello ,

There is no issue for you oracle upgrade hence the orainvenetory will clean up once the upgrade start and update the latest one. you take backup of the file for safer side. once the oracle upgrade done you can install central orainventory to maintain two SID.

"Creating the Central Inventory

Oracle Universal Installer enables you to set up the Central Inventory on a clean host

or register an existing Oracle home with the Central Inventory, when it is lost or

corrupted. You can setup the Central Inventory by using the -attachHome flag of

Oracle Universal Installer. The syntax is as follows:

./runInstaller -silent -attachHome -invPtrLoc ./oraInst.loc

ORACLE_HOME=”<Oracle_Home_Location>” ORACLE_HOME_NAME=”<Oracle_Home_Name>”

CLUSTER_NODES=”<node1,node2>” LOCAL_NODE=”<node_name>”

For a non-Real Application Clusters setup, you need not pass the LOCAL_NODE

variable, and the CLUSTER_NODES variable is empty. The syntax is as follows:

./runInstaller -silent -attachHome -invPtrLoc ./oraInst.loc

ORACLE_HOME=”<Oracle_Home_Location>” ORACLE_HOME_NAME=”<Oracle_Home_Name>”

CLUSTER_NODES=”{}”

Othewise set the orainventory location for each SID for you current scenario.

Thanks,

BM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rajesh,

Each instance should have it's own inventory location. Now it looks like from what you're saying that both instances share the same inventory location.

Have a look at the following note and consider cause #2.

1862446 - Inventory load failed... OPatch cannot load inventory for the given Oracle Home

https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/1862446/E

KR,

Amerjit