Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universe on Salesforce Instance

former_member340306
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I created a quick ODBC connection using salesforce generic ODBC driver for my universe. I can see the salesforce tables and fields. I also saw an option for Sales force SIMBA ODBC driver for connection, but i am not sure if its a good idea to create direct connection to a salesforce instance using generic salesforce ODBC driver and if someone knows of any pros and cons associated to it. Following is what i am trying to understand:

1- Pros and cons of direct connection to salesforce instance ( is there is any limitation in terms of any data set or tables or fields that we cannot see using the generic ODBC connection approach?)

2- Difference between the usage of direct salesforce ODBC connector VS Simba salesforce connector ? Under whhat circumstances would we use SIMBA connector over generic Salesforce ODBC ?

Thanks,

Sheikh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ayub,

It is always recommended to use the supported drivers mentioned in PAM guide.

All the drivers mentioned in PAM guide are already tested against various parameters such as performance, efficient SQL generation etc.

Generic drivers are for meant for databases which are not tested by SAP and hence SAP does not provide support if any issues with universe created using Generic drivers.

As you are using Salesforce, from BI 4.1 SP 06 onwards, Simba salesforce drivers comes with the product installation itself. No additional configuration is required.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Mithilesh

former_member340306
Participant
0 Kudos

Follwoing is what i see in UDT

I am using the OpenAccess for Salesforce (ODBC ) driver and it works fine for certain set of data but then i bring more granular data it hangs and never brings the query back - Do we know any number of cells limimations in terms of data with Salesforce openAccess for salesforce.

Sheikh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ayub,

I am not aware about any cell limitation. One thing you can check is that if it is happening with a specific set of tables or with all tables.

After how much time you see that the query is stuck? Can you check from the DB side as well to see if the query is completed there or not?

Regards,

Adil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ayub,

Recommendation is to use the middleware drivers as suggested in the PAM Guide.

You can search for the PAM Guide of your BO Version on SMP.

Regards,

Adil Raj

former_member340306
Participant
0 Kudos

But i dont see anything regarding Salesforce connector on PAM.

Thanks,

Sheikh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ayub,

It is mentioned in the PAM Guide

You need to look in the Semantic Layer Datasources excel file. You can find the link in the end of the PAM Guide.

Regards,

Adil Raj