Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text determination not in customer language

daniel_hermann
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi

I want to change the determination of the item description in a customer order.

Customer has language CN in master data.

User who is inserting the order is EN.

Material got short text in FR, EN, DE, ES,... (description)

Is it possible to set up the System to use not FR while creating the order so a user can read what he is inserting?

I tried VOTXN but here I only can set up the texts in the item details not the description which will be shown in va01 overview.

is there any other customizing which can be done or any user exits for this determination?

Best regards

Daniel

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Exactly this is why I suggested to use a description in English for the FR description in MM02 (which will look understandable to your users) and for printouts to use the text from sales texts tab in the material master:

The users don't need to do anything special in VA* or in any report, you will determine the text in the smartfrom.

And they will get their reports with English descriptions, which I understood is the official language in your organization.

You will need to maintain the master data, though.

daniel_hermann
Explorer
0 Kudos

at the moment we don't have an official language.

so we have english, freench, german,... logged on users which should see their own language in the description

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

is there a certain reason why you listed the language in this sequence: "Material got short text in FR, EN, DE, ES,... "?

In my system in the material master the descriptions are seen in alphabetical order of the language key (internal key).

From this point of view I would expect Chinese language in the material master as first language since it has the internal key 1, next German as it has internal key D, then English with  E, then French with F...(details in table T002)

daniel_hermann
Explorer
0 Kudos

No this was just while writing this sentence.

It is in alphabetical order in the additional data of the material

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If it is just a few customers and materials, you can create CMIR in VD51 and enter the English text to show it to the users (of course, if you don't use that already for other purposes).

daniel_hermann
Explorer
0 Kudos

I am sorry but we need that for all customers and all materials 😞

Customer specific texts and other multilingual texts are setup correctly but this description where you can directly see if you typed in the correct number will us help a lot.

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Material descriptions in VA01 are always in communication language, as far as I know.

One possible option - if you need material descriptions in FR (assuming the customer has FR as communication language), but you log on in EN, you can maintain the material descriptions in MM02 for FR in English and print the sales text as material description (in French) on your invoices instead of ARKTX.

It is an ugly solution, I know, but considering that you will want the English texts in various reports as well, it could be cheaper than looking for an enhancement.

daniel_hermann
Explorer
0 Kudos

Good idea but not usable for us... too many reports and views using those description 😞

another solution could be the popup of the material text if there is one maintained but not all materials have those texts but all obtain this description... very complicated situation

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How is the sales order created in detail, e.g. copy of another one, or from scratch?

Referencing a contract? Is there already a customer material info record?

Do you have any idea why FRench language could come into the game at all, this looks a bit random

daniel_hermann
Explorer
0 Kudos

Orders are normally created from scratch or sometimes by reference to an offer.

french is not the real problem.

if a user is logged in in english and the customer gots language CN or russian its very hard to read simplified chinese or kyrillian.

We don't need customer info records because the customer uses our material numbers/descriptions.

our problem is:

• starting va01
  • inserting customer number
  • inserting material number
    • here we want to clearify that the material number is inserted correctly by reading the material description in the language of the logged on user.

I hope this makes sence so far.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Actually if you had initially said that Chinese language comes up and the English user can't read it then it would have been enough to think about the issue. But you said FRench and this information does not seem to be logical at all, not in an alphabetical order, not from user language, not from customer language ... so is it finally just a wrong information which distrcted from the original problem and confused all your supporters?

daniel_hermann
Explorer
0 Kudos

Now I see the problem I've created.

when customer has language CN the material description in VA01 is also in CN.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What does it mean?

Did you just enter the language in the customer master that is spoken in the country where the customer is?

This is a typical user error. A communication language is the language that is understood by both parties, the customer and your sales person. if your sales person cannot understand Chinese then it can't be a communication language.

Which leads me to another typical user error in a multiple language environment: creation of material master. This is typically done by copy from another material master. Users often only care about their own language, so they just change the description that is shown as first line in the material master, which means the description in other languages is still as it was in the material from where it was copied. 

If you have now a sales person who enters orders and can't even read the description..this can only lead to confusion and problems.

I personally would never sign any paper which I can't read. So entering something in English and outputting it then in Chinese would not be an acceptable way for me as I have no chance to verify if the output is correct.

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For some countries there is a legal requirement to print the item descriptions in the local language, so you still need to print in the officially accepted country language, even if both parties can understand English- e.g. you move order entry to India, but your customer is from Russia for example, and you deliver from a RU location as domestic sales.

I have seen a nice option by some companies - they issue the invoice with descriptions in your language and in the official language where their business is, on the same page. Still, this can be done only when there is no fixed/standard invoice layout in the country of invoice issue.

daniel_hermann
Explorer
0 Kudos

I agree with your statements but in addition is to say that not only the sales person who may understand/read this language we use VL10A for delivery creation and there this description is copied what is bad because those users are not able to read this.

We have correct material description and maintained them in most languages we use for printing. so it shouldn't be a problem to use the correct language in the scripts.

this is why we search for a solution to use internal language in the order ao this will be transfered to delivery and invoice. but printed will be other texts.

daniel_hermann
Explorer
0 Kudos

the invoice is not the problem. because we will use the language of the customer if we maintained the material with that.

At this point I think we should search for a solution in VL10A and let the sales order untouched.

Maybe you have an idea for that scenario?