cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can you edit custom attributes.

0 Kudos

Hi All,

In the IS Admin guide on page 54. It states that the Metadata Management Data Stewart can Create custom attributes and edit values of custom attributes.

I've added myself to this group and only get the option to delete or add. There is no edit option.

Is this a misprint or am I missing something?

Thanks,

BW

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can update the Label and Description properties of a Custom Attribute by simply typing in the field.

You can edit the Valid Values property only by adding or removing individual vales to and from the list. It's not possible to edit the individual values themselves.

0 Kudos

Thanks Dirk & Dhareppa

So this is a misleading statement at the most. The wording gives you the thought that you can edit Custom Attributes after they have been created. So if you have a CA named Material and want to change it to Material (MATL). You have to delete and create. The problem is this. If you do this, Does the rule that had Material in it automatically pickup the new Material (MATL) name? I'm assuming you'd need to go into every rule and change it manually and go through the whole approval process again for each rule.

Thanks,

BW

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You are absolutely right, the CA name cannot be changed. This is because the name is used as Primary Key of the CA, and you typically cannot update a PK value. That would invalidate all Foreign Key links, with the same naughty side-effect as you've just described.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the input Dirk

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member655569
Participant
0 Kudos

Could be misprint. There is no option to modify existing values.