Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect links to Jive Documents migrated to Wordpress Blogs

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi 1DX team

In the latest blog migrations, the Jive Documents have been converted to Wordpress blogs. That is brilliant and very much needed.

However, other blog posts that refer to these "converted blogs" are still refering to the Jive Documents migrated to the Archive.

Refer to the following examples of a blog which has links to Jive documents:-

Old SCN (current)

New SCN (Beta)

FormatConversionBean - One Bean to rule them all! - SAP Blogs

In the above blogs, there is a table which contains a link to other Jive documents under the column Reference.

After the migration, the Jive document has been converted to the following Wordpress blog.

ExcelTransformBean Part 1: Convert various Excel formats to simple XML easily - SAP Blogs

However, the links still point to the following document in the Archive area

ExcelTransformBean Part 1: Convert various Excel formats to simple XML easily

Regards

Eng Swee

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Regarding Eng Swee Yeoh's original questions (: you  hijacked! not nice 😉  )

Thank you for pointing out the redirect issue you found in the beta. I'm happy to report that this is just a temporary situation due to the fact that these are test iterations of migrations and not the actual final migration of items. We should not have this issue once we launch, since everything should at that point have a redirect one way or another.

Regarding the question of migration to blogs for all Jive documents regardless of who posted them, we have two different approaches because of the fact that SAP employees and contractors have used the native Jive document format very differently from externals. While it may seem on the surface like we're migrating differently whether you work for SAP or not, it's actually the case that we are migrating differently based on what kind of content has been posted in native Jive documents.

I hope that clarifies.

Regards,

Audrey

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Audrey

Thanks for your response.

I just want to make sure that my issue was understood correctly. I wouldn't have called the issue a "redirect" issue because my understanding of a redirect after the launch would be any links to the Jive content would be redirected to its new location in the new platform.

What I raised was that the migrated content in the new platform is linking to an incorrect location in the new platform, meaning migrated blog in new platform

• is linking to migrated Jive document in Archive of new platform
  • instead of linking to migrated Jive document in Blog of new platform

As such, there are two main issues here:-

i) Jive document should not have been migrated to the Archive at all (right now it is still there)

ii) Other contents which link to Jive document should not point to Archive

Lastly, I sure hope there are further test iterations of migrations before the final one.

Regards

Eng Swee

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hi Eng Swee,

The current migrations are purely test migrations right now. The final migration paths/destinations (blog, wiki, archive, etc) of all content is still in the process of being determined, at least when it comes to any content posted by an SAP employee or contractor.

My understanding is that what you are reporting as incorrect is a Jive document migrated to the archive instead of to a blog. That is only incorrect if that Jive document was created by an S- or P-user. Those are the only Jive documents that are being migrated wholesale to blogs in the new system. For all other Jive documents it depends and the destination/migration paths are not finalized yet or reflected in the system yet.

However, if you are saying that a blog by an S- or P- user was migrated anywhere other than to a blog in the beta, that is an issue. Can you confirm whether that is what you are reporting?

Regards,

Audrey

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Audrey

Nope that is not what I'm saying. Let me try to walk you through the example I listed above  - hopefully it might clear things up a bit.

Item 1: Original Jive Document in current SCN by a P-user

In the Beta platform, this is available as both an Archived document as well as a Wordpress blog

Item 2: Item 1 migrated into Archive of Beta platform

ExcelTransformBean Part 1: Convert various Excel formats to simple XML easily

Item 3: Item 1 migrated into Blog of Beta platform

ExcelTransformBean Part 1: Convert various Excel formats to simple XML easily - SAP Blogs

Now, there is a Blog post in current SCN that has a link to Item 1

Item 4: Original Blog post in current SCN by a P-user

And this blog post is migrated normally to a Wordpress blog in Beta platform.

Item 5: Item 4 migrated into Blog of Beta platform

FormatConversionBean - One Bean to rule them all! - SAP Blogs

Now, the issue is during the migration of Item 4 into Item 5. In Item 5, the link now points to Item 2 when it should be pointing to Item 3.

Additionally, Item 2 shouldn't exists at all but my guess is this might be due to earlier migration iterations and the Archive was not refreshed before the latest migration cycle.

All these are P-user contents.

Regards

Eng Swee

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Thank you for the very detailed explanation and stepping me through it. This helps.

I will look into it more and report back.

I still think this is just a temporary problem due to the iterative nature of the practice migrations we have been doing and the fact that redirects are still in flux. It has to do with the whitelists and blacklists available for the migration tests and the fact that those are still not nailed down for a number of reasons.

But I will definitely double check to make sure that my assumption is correct, because I agree that in the end, of course, the situation you describe should not happen when we launch.

The one thing that should already be nailed down is the migration of blogs to blogs. If that were not working right yet that would definitely be a bug.

--Audrey

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Audrey

Wondering if the team has been able to investigate further into this and find the root cause of the issue.

Anyway, while checking on some of my other migrated blogs, I found another example which might help to provide another test case for the issue.

If you look at the links at the end of the following migrated blog:-

Demystifying Custom Adapter Development: Part 4 - Modifying the Adapter's Functionality - S...

All of those links are incorrectly pointing to the Archive. If you click on any of the links, it will give you a "Page Not Found" error.

If this is not fixed before the launch, we will end up having a lot of broken links in the contents on SCN.

Regards

Eng Swee

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would add that it needs to be fixed prior to launch, and an appropriate time for adequate retesting of a stable future environment/platform.

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I agree because otherwise the new SCN will just become a graveyard of dead links. It'll be fun having to navigate through all that. More fun to the blog owners to fix their blogs after the migration - I wonder how many would bother...

However, given the announcement that Oct 10 is the D-Day for the new platform, I'm just beginning to wonder if all these that we do is an exercise in futility.

michael3
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Eng Swee,

good catch - thanks for sharing!

This link replacement to the archive should not have happened at migration.

We will correct that behavior.

Thanks,

Michael

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Michael. Will there be any more migration testing prior to the impending launch which is just about 3 weeks away? This is a real point of concern and should be one of high priority and importance.

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok, the results of the latest migration for this particular issue is a bit confusing.

Now, links to Jive Document are no longer pointing to the archive, but back to the original Jive Document, meaning the links are not converted - still scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-XXX

I'm not sure if this is the intended behavior and the plan is to handle this via HTTP redirects. But if that is the case there is therefore no way to test if the redirects will be working before the eventual launch.

The requirement is really simple.

• Jive Documents (by non SAP employees) will be migrated to WordPress blogs
  • Therefore any links to Jive Documents (anywhere i.e in blogs, threads, documents) should point to the new WordPress blogs. Whether this will be handled via "conversion" of the href hyperlink tags in the HTML or redirects is not communicated by the 1DX team

- looping you in on this.

michael3
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Eng Swee,

yes this is in deed the intended behavior. The redirects that will be activated at go-live will be used to point to the correct document no matter whether the document has been migrated to Wiki, Blogs or the archive. This eliminates the risk (as seen in the last migration) of a wrong link calculation at migration time.

Anyway, in case one of the redirects would be wrong it still can be correct after go-live which would be a lot more difficult when we convert the link at migration and have it hard coded in the migrated blog.

Regards,

Michael

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I do agree that the redirect-based solution will allow more flexibility post go live, the only thing is we will only be able to test/experience it after go live.

I'm not sure if this redirect solution was mentioned anywhere else, so it wasn't entirely clear what was happening, but thanks for the explanation, Michael.

Just to confirm, this redirect is only applicable for Jive Documents, so we will expect links to those to remain as DOC-XXX links, while Jive Blog links will still be converted to blogs.sap.com links.

Looping in since he had an issue with one of the Jive document links too.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Eng Swee,

Your comment caught my attention:  "In the latest blog migrations, the Jive Documents have been converted to Wordpress blogs. That is brilliant and very much needed."

Do you think this should be the case for all relevant Jive DOC-XXX objects, including SAP employee contributions, or only customers and partners in the community?

Best Regards,

Jeremy Good

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jeremy

Do you think this should be the case for all relevant Jive DOC-XXX objects, including SAP employee contributions, or only customers and partners in the community?

From my understanding from previous responses to this matter being raised (one example here); it looks like there is a task force looking into all the different cases for the DOC-XXX contents. I'm not sure what is the decision coming out from there - I haven't seen any or might have missed it.

IMHO, all should be migrated because there is a fair deal of content from SAP Employees that are also in DOC-XXX format and are continuously being updated.

Regards

Eng Swee

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The wiki (Home - Wiki Homepage - SCN Wiki) has been proposed by the task force as a destination for many of these DOC-XXXX's, but I wholeheartedly agree with you on the last point.

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Thanks for pointing this out. I'll circle back with the team to understand what should be happening.

--Adurey

moshenaveh
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Let's ping