cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTS based duty for sugar content

0 Kudos

Good day GTS Experts

I have a requirement from the Mauritius customs union to pay a duty of a currency amount per gram of sugar of the exported product. The duty is HS Code based.

IE, 5 MUR per gram of sugar. If a product has 50 grams of sugar in it, the duty will be 250 MUR.

As the standard duty calculation is based on units of measures, I need to come up with a solution to represent the sugar content (in grams) on the article master using a UoM. I have searched for an applicable unit of measure to represent this - the only UoM I can find close to this is °P (Degrees Plato) - however this is measure of proportion of sugar - and therefore the calculation will need to know the exact weight of the product before the calculation starts.

Please advise how this calculation should be handled (ideally, what UoM is the industry standard to represent the sugar content of a product in grams) ?

Thanks and regards

Chris

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member215181
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

From the point of view of calculating the duty, you could set up your own UoM - for example ZGS.   Then create a specific duty rate and enter the conversion from the Base UoM of your product(s).

But presumably the authority will need you to show the sugar content as the Supplementary Unit in the declaration.  In that case you will also need to map the new unit to the applicable code in the Numbering Scheme.

Regards,

Dave