cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple instances of one characteristic

Former Member
0 Kudos

Am I wrong to believe that SAP have multiple "instances" of a characteristic, if the characteristic is used more than one place?

For example if you have a characteristic that have been overwritten to have more values on a class 300, or a characteristic without any value list, that is overwritten and used on mutliple class 001 - with many different values only viewable for specific classes?

If the characteristic have multiple intances, which tables and fields can the different intances and value lists be viewed in?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

keyur_mistry1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Jacob Mortensen,

First of all we will clean some English so, reader confusion can be reduce to help you. If I am not wrong then this is typo error.

In above English I am  getting confuse some "instances" with instance and "intances".

Okay Now lets me comment on your question base on my understanding.

1. Your single material have multiple class? (001,300)
  2. Both class has same characteristics with the different value?
  3. In order booking are you displaying both characteristics? If yes Why?

According to me it's not convincing when characteristics generate multiple instances. Instance can not be multiple for one same characteristics. But we will try to analyse your problem and conclude for you.

Last question is..

• Why you want to capture the instance of the characteristics? Report? or anything else?

Okay, to check instance I am using transaction CUTABLEINFO. In this transaction you can check table called -  IBSYMBOL.

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your feedback, Keyur.

I don't know if it's typo - what I am trying to describe by "instance" is instantiation -> I consider it to be instantiation when I'm creating new object of type "Characteristic".

1. Your single material have multiple class? (001, 300)

1. No - But a characteristic can be used in more than one class 300, more than one class 001 and maybe even on one or more class 300 and one or more class 001 at the same time.

2. Both class has the same characteristic with the different value?

1. Yes - different classes can have the same characteristic with different values

(Overwritten values on the class - both 001 and 300)

3. In order booking are you displaying both characteristics? If yes Why?

1. I don't know - why is this important?

Why you want to capture the intance of the characteristics? Report? or anything else?

I want to capture it because one have argued to me that reusing characteristics will result in "saving" characteristics. I don't believe this is true - and I believe that an SAP consultant at a time have told me that every time a characteristic is used on a class it will actualy be a new characteristic with the same name, but a different internal number.

So I'm requesting a way to prove if I'm wrong or right.

I will try using CUTABLEINFO - IBSYMBOL and report if it fits my needs.

Again thanks for feedback.

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jacob Mortensen,

I agree on comment, when ever you set few special things like over writing characteristic or values it populates few extra filed, but the instances of characteristic will not be created, if a same characteristic is used in many places it will increase total table entries in different tables, but instance of characteristic will always be same.

You can co relate it for example material master, if a same material is used in many different BOM's , its entries in BOM component table swill be increased , but if you create new materials a table entries in Material master table's will be increased. so using same characteristic's will help reducing  data base space. It will also help you reducing characteristic maintenance too.

refer below link to see various table used in settings up variant configuration in system.

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-46807

Also check below thread to see linking of VC data.

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-56688

Hope it may help you finding information you are looking for.

Thanks

Ritesh

keyur_mistry1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Jacob Mortensen,

Good to see your further conversation. Now I will show you some real time configuration and result of it.

As we have supper BOM material for order booking. My Finish material characteristics is getting flow from FG material to last Component of FG (Basic Raw-material).

Reference Image:

Here in above BOM you can see 5 different materials. Every material has different 300 class. I have used same characteristics to all different material of class 300.

Characteristics - CT_THICK.

User is entering thickness at FG level and till Raw-material level thickness will be different. In short different thickness at all component. Finish goods material thickness will be different then semi finish and raw-material.

Now if I will go to CUTABLEINFO transaction and check the instance.

Result is;

you can observe my same characteristics has same instance number and every-time characteristics has diff rent value. Now when characteristics name change instance number get change too.

Another approach related to Ritesh has suggested.

1. Take class number from the KLAH table by passing the all class in which our required characteristics is available. (Field - CLINT)
  2. Pass CLIENT field value to table called KSML. This table will give all characteristics internal number, which is available in our class.

If you know your characteristics internal class number. pass same to the KSML table and check the result.

Note:- Table CABN have characteristics name and internal number relation result.

Conclusion is One Characteristics has only one internal number even though it is used in multiple class and class type.

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the walk through - it was very informative.

Answers (0)