SAP for Utilities Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and collaborate on building a sustainable energy future. Join the discussion.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment run (FPY1) for Over payments or Credits

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

This questions may have asked before but I couldn't find it anywhere so I had to ask again and sorry for the inconvenience.

My client has FPY1 for direct debits and its working fine, now they want to provide a functionality where customer can make over payments (via portal) so that it can be added to FPY1 run.

Ex: Customer's invoice is $100 , but pays $150 so they can use it in future.

or Customer has 0 balance but wants to make some payments so they can use it in future.

do we need to update FPY1 to include these over payments? or the program only looks for open items?

My solution was to add some fields in DFKKOP table for over payments, then FPY1 looks into the table to select these items., but I was thinking there should be a way we can update FPY1 to look for over payments.

Thanks,

Arvind

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AmlanBanerjee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Arvind,

What is your Business case for FPY1 to look for over payments?

I think if the customer is overpaying in the first place, then its for settling the future bills, rather than for getting refunds.

Can you please elaborate on the same?

Thanks,

Amlan

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

saptarshi_saha1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Arvind,

FPY1 looks at open items within the due dates specified in the selection screen input. For over payment once in a while, customers can make card payments to their accounts. But if the requirement is to collect the payment from customers bank account by direct debit then you might do that through a custom solution.

Create a program to post statistical debts for over payment to customers account. List out the customers for which you want to take over payment and then run the program to post those statistical request lines with specific clearing restriction so that they don't get cleared with other items in the account. You can make these lines due immediately and add validations to select these statistical debts through FPY1 in EVENT 601.

Now, when you run FPY1, system will identify these due lines and include the request amount in payment order creation along with other regular due items. Payments from these payment orders will be posted as down payment in the customers account and can be used for future. For that, you will need to configure posting area 1010.

Please be advised, if you have post processing activities for direct debit returns, you might want to customize that too in case payment collection from bank for these statistical debts fail and you post a return to reverse the payments.

Hope it gives you an idea how to go about the solution.

Regards,

Saptarshi

william_eastman
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

There is no need to devise a custom solution for this.  FPY1 handles outbound payment processing as well.  You need to assign the payment method to the account or the open items. 

AmlanBanerjee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Arvind,

What is your Business case for FPY1 to look for over payments?

I think if the customer is overpaying in the first place, then its for settling the future bills, rather than for getting refunds.

Can you please elaborate on the same?

Thanks,

Amlan

0 Kudos

Hi Amlan,

This over payment functionality is to allow customers to have credit on their a/c so they can pay for their future bills.

Currently client is using Biller direct payment functionality, when the nightly payment run happens, it looks for the ACH amount (same as open item) and open item balance and processing the payments. but client wants to update the program or any other solution to consider payments which are greater than what customer owes.

Thanks,

Arvind

0 Kudos

The payment run function is not designed for overpayments.  In that case a customer would need to initiate the larger payment themselves, similar to writing a check for a higher amount.  Payment run is always executed against open items.

0 Kudos

Hi William,

Sorry I missed that part, Customer would initiate the over payment through the portal either while paying the open invoices or when the open balance =0. The open items will be cleared and the rest of the amount will be posted as credit to the account.

Customer initiates the payment using ACH account that is already been setup at business partner level, this is the regular direct debit where incoming payment method = D.

For these payments we will add some indicator in DFKKOP-PYMET table so when the FPY1 runs, these items will also be selected.

Thanks,

Arvind

0 Kudos

Hi Arvind,

To be precise, you want to deduct more from the Customer's A/c in FPY1 run than they actually owe to the Utility company, which can be used for settle future adjustments

Now, I guess , you already have the logic of how much more to deduct from the Customer A/c based on a case to case basis.

So then, Event 0032 can be used to achieve the requirement. This event can create additional line items for a document in FI-CA-

(a) The payment document posted through and the extra credit (overpayment) document line item that will be posted through this event will have the same document#. So in case you reverse the payment document, the extra credit (Overpayment) document line item will also get reversed automatically.

(b) The document type of the Overpayment document line item will be same as that of the payment document.

However, you can use a different set of main\sub for posting the overpayment document line item

So depending on the origin key of the document (for payment run, its 06), you can develop and plug in a custom FM at event 0032, which based on the Business requirement will go and post an additional overpayment line item for the payment document with the same document type and with a different combination of main\sub, so that you can figure out at a later stage what was the extra amount that you deducted,

Hope it helps

Thanks

Amlan

rahul_paldiwal2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Arvind,

Can you please provide below clarification?

1. When you say customer makes a payment of $ 150 via portal, won't this payment come as an inbound payment file. ( Just like any credit card payment which customers make without going for direct debit). If this is the case, FPY1 becomes irrelevant.

2. If you want to direct debit customers for amount other than open items, then you can do this via Standing request (we implemented a similar requirement with my current client).

Regards,
Rahul

0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

1) When a cutomer makes any payments through clients UI/Portal, the payments will be posted directly in SAP (backend is SAP) through web service calls, there is not file creation process here. as mentioned above, based on the FLAG in "DFKKOP-PYMET", FPY1 picks these items.

2) Can you please provide more details on "Standing request".

Thanks,

Arvind

0 Kudos

Hello Arvind,

You can find more information on standing requests at the below link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_rc10/helpdata/en/38/5e973d64d6910fe10000000a114084/content.htm

We had a requirement where the customer wants to setup a Direct Debit Plan for overpayment .. Similar to yours to cover the high summer or winter bills.

Since Direct Debit works only on open items , we need to create a Standing Request (Statistical) with the Payment Method for the request being Bank Account or Credit Card.

Whenever customer wants to make an overpayment we create a standing request and it gets picked up in the FPY1 batch. Once the payment is made the statistical item gets cleared and downpayment item is created.

This solution will work for your requirement.

Regards,
Rahul