cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why was abap/buffersize = 800000 added to profile with upgrade to Kernel 7.45?

Former Member
0 Kudos

After applying support pack stacks 7 - 11 and Kernel 7.45 to our ECC 6.07 system we noticed the following changes were made to the instance profiles.

#*** PERMANENT 740 CHANGE ***

abap/buffersize = 800000

The result is we are seeing many swaps in ST02 for the program buffer.

The Kernel default is what we had been using for this value until this was added by the upgrade.

Is there a reason we should not remove this entry and go back to the Kernel default?

Thanks for any help in resolving this,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

We used 14 patch 9.

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dan,

This was fixed in SUM SP16 and SP17 in last week of Feb 2016. SUM SP14 was used and this is the reason SUM added this parameter as handling in previous version of tool was different.
You can follow the memory management note if you have any issue.

If you are planning to use the same old version for next upgrade as well then there are 2 ways to go about this.

1. Set the parameter in profile before starting the SUM so SUM will not add this parameter. SUM only adds this if parameter is not present.

2. Fix the parameter after the upgrade.

Another option would be to use the latest version of SUM and parameter will not be added.

Best Regards,
Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

Thank you for clearing this up for me. I will go ahead and deactivate this parameter and we will use the latest release of the tool in the future.

You have been a great help.

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dan,

Glad I could help. You can check the system state after the changes and then close this thread.

Best Regards,
Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manish,

Thanks for your reply. Note 2085980 gives a detailed explanation for how these memory parameters are to be set. abap/buffersize had been disabled in my profiles so the Kernel default would be used. In our case this is much larger than 800,0000. I am seeking an answer as to why this parameter was set so low.

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Dan,

Which SUM version was used? I remember that there was a fix for this paramter in SUM.
If you used older version of the SUM then it might be the case.

Besr Regards,
Gaurav

manish_singh13
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dan,

Please check below SAP Note.

2085980 - New features in memory management as of Kernel Release 7.40

Thanks,

Manish