cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum no. of notifications can be downloaded on WM 6.2?

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I'm  back with the series of questions. I'm still in the learning phase of this product, so please apologize my question if it's being redundant.

Can you all let me know what's the maximum no.of QM notifications you have downloaded in your app?

The reason I ask this question is because, we are having major issues from the field work stating that they can't able to synch with work manager. When we checked the Work Center they have been using, it has almost 1000+ notifications. I'm not saying it never synchs, but it synch sometime and some times it times outs. I know there are various factors like Wifi, 4G, VPN etc.. But even when the app is hardwired (ethernet) the results were not consistent.

So just looking 1000 notifications is huge number to download into the tablet? If yes, what's the limit of notifications can be downloaded? I'm just looking for ball park numbers not the exact.

Appreciate all your help!

Thank you,

Justin.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Also along the same line, is it possible for us to do http compression (gzip) during data transfer?

Thanks.     

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Regarding the number of notifications.  1000 is certainly too many in my opinion.  No user will be able to find / act on that many notification.  You should consider applying filters to reduce the number.

The data transfer only uses https to do the initial connection after which it is upgraded to a websockets connection using a binary protocol. 

--Bill

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Bill,

Thank you so much for your response. I completely with you on this. 1000 notification is too much to download to the WM. But the business process demands to do so.. For example when the guy is on the field doing Patrol along the transmission line, he might not act upon it , but definitely he has to know all the notifications on the line he is doing patrol .. So that's why there is a problem.

"The data transfer only uses https to do the initial connection after which it is upgraded to a websockets connection using a binary protocol."

Can you let me know where I can find more information on how technically the data is being transferred (like sort of Technical Architecture)? Any link references?

Thanks again!

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Justin,

1000 notifications for a section of transmission line is still far too many.  This is where the filtering should be applied.  Perhaps on a geographic basis or actual specific linear asset with start and end points.  Other ways are possible and may even be better than what I mentioned (only those in the last 30 days?). 

Pushing back on the folks doing the business operational analysis very often results in the change from a lazy analysis (which happens far too often) to a more focused and useful result. Might also want to spend some time explaining to them what the implications are for their requirement in terms of performance and development costs. 

While my experience with WM and the field is more focused in the O&G field where the linear assets are usually pipeline related, there are a lot more similarities than differences between transmission lines and pipelines than many might think.

Regards, Mike

SAP Technology RIG

Former Member
0 Kudos

One more option could be is download the Notifs he needs, but create a second section that downloads the others, but only download the Header information.

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Always more than one way to skin a cat!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you Mike and Stephen for your valuable inputs. I'll pushing the process change on their side, will see.

-Justin.