cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PD upgrades - changes in API

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

recent discussion topic brought by Rafal ( http://scn.sap.com/thread/3949293 ) reminded me of one problem, which I see in PD upgrades for a very long time.

I`d really appreciate to have list of changes in API summarized somewhere in the documentation (perhaps some sub-chapter in the What`s new section). This is quite crucial part of information about new PD version and it is really very uncomfortable not to have it. I think, that all people responsible for extending PowerDesigner in any way, would agree with that.

In bigger environment, it is a lot of work to coordinate upgrade of all models, repository, proxy, portal and all clients at one time. Plus you also have to be worried about proper working of all your extensions and scripts.I bet that such a list of changes already exists and I think, that it would be great to release it together with new PD version.  I was wondering if SAP people could put a statement here, whether such information could be part of official documentation or at least if it could be requested and sent on demand.

Regards,

Ondrej Divis

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member200945
Contributor
0 Kudos

In your Powerdesigner folder, there is file called readme.html. It contains a section:

Change in metamodel and API

In the same folder, there is tch file( for example 16.6.1tch.txt).

It lists all fixed bugs in the release.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Phillip,

thanks for your answer, obviously, you are right. But perhaps I haven`t expressed myself precisely enough. I created this discussion as a reaction to discussion started by Rafal:

In Rafals particular case I think, that it was more likely mistake in his coding, than change in API, but it brought me to this idea to have ALL THE DETAILED information about API changes available. Let mi give an example. In the readme.html file, there are only six changes in PD API for all versions of PD since 16.0, through 16.1 to 16.5. They are: comparison helper, cube metamodel change, branch change, password change, MergeInto and change in float typed extended attributes behaviour. But I know, that there has been a couple of new objects added in EAM in PD 16.5 added (Project, Program, etc.) Whole new classes added. I bet, there are even more differencies in API, but without complete list of changes, it is very difficult to acquire all of them to be 100% sure, how my scripts will be affected by upgrade.

Ondrej

Answers (0)