cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OVS without input parameters

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have to implement a search-help pop-up for an input field in my application. But the RFC which is used doesnt accept any import parameters. The result should get prepopulated on opening the window. So, is it possible to use OVS in this case? If this is not possible, is there any alternative available??

Since the result is too big, its not possible to use EVS.

Thanks n regards,

Shyam.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shyam,

Scenario for OVS with no input parameters is fully supported in theory. In practice there is one pesky bug and one annoying feature in OVS implementation for WD Java.

-- You must have at least one parameter otherwise OVS window is not fully initialized due to error for certain WD versions. You may use OVS with input/output nodes populated from RFC call. Input node must have one fake attribute of non-simple type (say, select Java type and set java.lang.Object)

-- The user will see "Go" button even if there is no input necessary. The search results are shown only after clicking this button. There is no way to alter this behavior.

Please check my blog post <a href="/people/valery.silaev/blog/2006/07/18/ovs-rfc">OVS + RFC...</a> -- here I described workaround for first problem (read whole text).

Valery Silaev

SaM Solutions

http://www.sam-solutions.net

abhijeet_mukkawar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Shyam,

<i>In many application scenarios, an additional type of input help is needed to search for objects instead of values. For example, when searching for an Airline ID, you can enter some relevant data, such as departure and arrival airports or the flight date, in a search form. The search results (matching flight objects) are displayed in a table and, after selecting a flight, the airplane ID (or other values) is (are) automatically transferred to the corresponding input field(s). For this purpose, Web Dynpro provides a third type of generic input help service called OVS (Object Value Selector).</i> (taken from standard document)

as you said that your RFC does not have any import parameter, i doubt if you can use OVS. I think you gotta manage with EVS, which will also have filtering and scrolling features.

hope it helps

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shyam,

Yes, since the result is too big, I suggest you try to implement a filter on WD side in OVS to achieve better performance and user-experience. Although the RFC has no such import parameters, you may handle the result in Java cache then implement a simple filter for one of the key field of the result. What's your idea?

William Cui