cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charm Release Management: how to deal with multi-lane ?

Louis-Nicolas
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Charm Experts,

I am looking of the best-practice of Charm Release Mangement.

As describe in this blog,

http://scn.sap.com/community/it-management/alm/blog/2014/06/10/sap-change-release-management-part-1-...

we have a many customer a 'multi-lane' approach.

• A)     Emergency changes need to be delivered quickly
  • B)    Small change which does NOT required to be tested by business team (new customizing entry for example) and hotfix bug, need to be delivered quickly => Weekly basis seems reasonable.
  • C)      Medium & complex change which required to be tested by business team : evolution that required more than 1 days of works ...
  • D)     SAP Rollout deployment: very big change, lot of customizing & enhancement change ... ==> delivered 1 time in production.

How does these lane could be design in Charm ?

For A) = SMHU Urgent document are use, assigned to a maintenance project ID. Make perfect sens and works perfectly.

Maintenance project ID is moved to production on daily basis. 

For D) = New Solman Project ID with a dedicated Project Cycle. All SMMJ change document assigned & delivered 1 time in production. Easy & Make perfect sens.

But for B) & C) ? what would be the best strategies ? create other maintenance project ID for each ?

Behind this question, I wonder how to managed the non-regression testing specially for change in case C) and manage the “freeze” period of testing.

Thanks for your lighting!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Louis,

yes SAP do have released already a very good and detailed white paper or best practice as below

https://support.sap.com/content/dam/library/SAP%20Support%20Portal/support-programs-services/solutio...

hope this helps.

Thanks

Prakhar

Louis-Nicolas
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Prakhar for this document. It's a very good overview of all functionally & technically cthat SAP competency center meets daily with their SAP landscape.

It's typically our business case (chapter 2.2).

Also, with the help of

I have better understood how could I implemented the minor change which need to be tested in a freeze period.

So for C), I would certainly create 1 additional maintenance project, and manage the different phases.

Regards.

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Louis,

always welcome and happy to see that you have got the answer.

However Solman 7.1 doesn't have the functionality of Release Management which is available now in Solman 7.2

I would recommend you to kindly plan the same accordingly.

Release Planning - SAP Solution Manager - SAP Library

hope this helps further.

Thanks

Prakhar

Answers (0)