cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use packaging specification for changing storage type search sequence?

peter_schmidt4
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

we want to implement the following process for receiving certain parts:

We have a part that is purchased in larger quantities and stored on pallets in our high rack. We have implemented a replenishment process to move these parts from high rack into our fast moving storage type where they are stored in boxes.

Sometimes we are returning these part from our branches in low quantities. These (returned) parts should be putawayed in boxes into fast moving storage type directly.

My idea is to use a packaging specification with different quantity classifications to find the storage type search sequence: For large quantity into high rack and for lower into fast moving zone.

How do I have to maintain packaging specifications?

Kind regards,

Peter.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

the quantity classification can be found two ways, with a packaging specification or with an alternative Unit of Measure.

If you have AUoM maintained in your material,, then you have to assign to these units the quantity classifications (in customizing, Master Data --> Products). That is usually the easier way respectively does not need additional master data - if you have aUoM maintained.

If not, you need a pack spec. Now I have never tried this in inbound, only for outbound. There it works with one pack spec, with different levels (like one level for the carton, with the assigned quantity classification, and one for the pallet, with it's quantity classification). If it does not work as expected, I would have to try with 2 packspecs and a condition record sequence.

The determination procedure for this needs to be assigned to "internal processes" in the warehouse number.

And I do not think that you need a BAdI.

Brgds

Juergen

peter_schmidt4
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Jürgen,

thank you for your useful hints.

I tried to solve it with a pack spec with two different levels. System first packs the quantities regarding first level and if necessary regarding second level. That is why on both levels flag "HU Creation" is set. But I do not want to get sub HU´s. The quantity should be packed into e. g. pallets (2nd level) or boxes (1st level) only. If I remove the HU flag on first level, small quantities will not be packed at all.

Example: Part A is packed on a pallet with quantity greater then 100 PC. For lower quantities it should be packed into boxes only. 210 PC should be packed on two pallets 100 PC each and one pallet with 10 PC (w/o sub HU´s)! 60 PC should be packed within 6 Boxes 10 PC each.

Do you know how to change the pack spec to meet my requirement?

P.S. If possible, I do not want to use BAdI´s.

Kind regards, Peter.

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hm, I got it working. Give me a day or two to document how I have done it, will publish it here then.

Brgds

Juergen

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

just one question to make sure: do you actually want to have HUs in the end? Or is it just about finding the right storage type?

Brgds

Juergen

peter_schmidt4
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Jürgen,

yes, we want to have HUs in the end but just one level HUs (without sub HUs).

Kind regards,

Peter.

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

in that case I am sure it will not work with ONE packaging specification (or without any BAdI). Need to try.

Brgds

Juergen

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

nope, in that case I do not know any way. There is nothing in a packaging specification if it is supposed to create HUs, that these difference are made.

Brgds

Juergen

former_member209095
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello guys,

@Juergen

I don't think you can achieve this even if you have 2 packspecs. Field catalog does not have any quantity related field. Even if you add a field like qty classification, you must determine this parameter before actual packspec determination occurs(which i don't have a clue how to).

@Peter

Which environment are you planning to achieve this? RF, PC or queued RFC?

Are you using autopack functionality? Or single HU packing?

My best guess, after packspec determination, you can change packaging material depending on quantity to be packed. There are tons of possibilities for this.

Best regards

Serhan

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Agreed with Juergen, please do as advised by him and it will help you to achieve your requirement.

BR,

Anoop

former_member183610
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

If you maintain the quantity classification also a condition record , system can find out the correct packaging specification.

For this some business add ins are required. Please check for the enhancements in the below path.

SCM Extended Warehouse Management-Extended Warehouse Management-Master Data-Packaging Specification-Business Add-Ins for Packaging Specifications.

BR,

C K Reddy