Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Method and Class for Fetching Data from the tables

zayidu
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi EWM experts,

Without using select queries can I fetch data from the standard/custom tables in SAP EWM ? I mean is there any methods or class or any FM's to fetch data from DB tables??
Kindly reply ASAP.... Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member230160
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Well,

there are differences if you read directly from DB tables vs. use dedicated functions or methods.

1.) Performance

often data access methods have buffers which avoid direct reading from DB e.g. in case if you access the same object multiple times in your program

2.) Transient data

Some "objects" have calculated data which is not stored in DB tables but are calculated on the fly. These information you will not have if you only read from the DB

3.) transient data in case of changes

If you read from the DB you will only get data that is saved yet to the DB. So if you are working with coding that changes data and the data is not "committed" to the database you will not see these changes on the DB. But I assume that you are currently only talking about read only scenarios.

4.) Robustness in case of Database changes

In case the underlying data model is changed you have a problem if you access directly the database. Then usually the access functions/methods are adjusted from the old to the new data model. But if you access the DB directly you then have to adjust your coding.

5.) Complexity

If a "object" consists out of many DB tables it may be complex for you to decide in which DB table which data is stored. Access methods/functions often hide the complexity and make it easier to access the data

Of course a direct DB access may sometimes be faster and easier but then the points listed before should also be taken into consideration.

There is also a book available which may also be of help

https://www.amazon.de/SAP-EWM-Architecture-Programming-PRESS/dp/1493212338/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=14...

Best regards

Markus

zayidu
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus!

former_member230160
Active Participant

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

romit_raina
Active Participant
0 Kudos

You can go to SE11 , give your table name and use the option where used list as shown below :

After this it will provide you the long items with check box , you can CHECK the Functional Module / Classes/interface as shown below :

Thanks

zayidu
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Romit,,

Do you know to design a RF screen 16*20 ... with Enter, Back and Clear buttons.... Can you explain it with screenshots pls... Thanks!

romit_raina
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hey Zayidu,

I think i have given you the RF Cook Book . Since the process of creation of RF screen is long and i cannot explain it here. But if you can check the RF Cook book and start the step by step process you can get it easily.

You can let me know once you were stuck somewhere in that .

Thanks

zayidu
Participant
0 Kudos

I created a RF screen and I need to create a custom transaction which directs to Data Entry screen of the Screen I created.

So In SE93 when I am creating the custom transaction I confused that which program name i should give...

I have 2 FM's in the created screen PBO and PAI.

Help me!!

former_member183610
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Zayidu,

We can find many function modules in EWM to fetch the data from the tables. most of the FMs are starting with /SCWM/*.

You can find those with the transaction SE37.

BR,

C K Reddy

zayidu
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Reddy,

Thanks for your kind reply. So for each tables there are different FM's and not the same FM's to fetch the data..?? Also How can I fetch data from the custom tables...
What's the difference in using the select queries and FM's to fetch the data??

Thanks again!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Zayidu,

In fetching of data from tables differs from business process to process.

For normal  scenarios you can use simple fetch queries.

If you are technical consultant I urge to test the scenarios in sandbox or development.

All your doubts will get cleared.

BR,

Olet