cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transport validation possible in 3+system landscapes?

Former Member
0 Kudos

SolMan 7.1 SP12 - ChaRM

In a 3-system landscape (Dev, QAS, Prod) using Normal Change (SMMJ).  It is possible for a document to be in status 'Successfully Tested', however when then proceeding to import the Normal Change to production, you find that the transport never made it to the productive buffer. (The QAS import job did not run after the document was set to 'Successfully Tested'(thus Releasing the transport), therefore the original transport was never imported into QAS, and therefore the Prod buffer was not populated either).

A related problem is also possible in a 4-system landscape (Dev, QAS, Pre-Prod, Prod)...

After looking at Actions and Consistency Checks, I am failing to see any way to validate the original transport for SMMJ (Normal Change).  I located Consistency check IMPORT_INTO_TEST_OK however that appears to be relevant only to SMHF (Urgent Change).

Is there any way for SMMJ via Action or Consistency Check (or other) to validate the original transport was successfully imported into the Test/QAS system?

Thank you!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Scott,

ChaRM is way beyond flexible for 3 tier and it can be done for 6--- 7 or more system as per different requirement.

There can be multiple issues why TR is not released on successfully tested status.

It can be SCC4 settings as well for managed system.

To begin you can goto SCMA and your maintenance cycle and check if any error are reported.

Job is running or not can be checked in SM37 if it is a periodic one

You can feel free to check below thread(my replies for 4 tier)

4 system landscape - ChaRM | SCN

let us know further

hope it helps

Thanks

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Prakhar,

Thank you for the response!

In the above example, the TR was actually released on action "Successfully Tested". However, the import job to QAS is not scheduled (and the import was not run manually prior to attempting to release the NC to production).  Therefore the transport to Production failed, as the transport was not populated in the productive buffer, due to the failure to run the import job in QAS.

That said, we are looking to define a new status/action (as referenced in you thread) that would come after "Successfully Tested", and within that new action, add a Consistency Check to validate that the original transport was imported to the QAS system. If that check passes, we can infer that the TR is populated in the productive buffer; if the check fails it would indicate that the QAS import needs to be run (prior to attempting a release to production).

The problem with this however is that there appears to be no such Consistency Check available for SMMJ to validate the original transport.  For SMMJ, validation only appears to be available for the status of the ToC...

Thank you,

-Scott

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Scott

No problem, I will try to assist further.

There are various ways to achieve the same. Yes you can create a new status as per requirement and check below wiki (it does have new status config steps + consistency steps config steps)

Change Request Management (ChaRM) - How to enhance the standard workflow - SAP IT Service Management...

Further, I assume you are also aware of status dependent imports in ChaRM

Import strategies: Status Dependent import and Selective Import - Solution Manager - SCN Wiki

the advantanges of having status dependent strategy is that you can have automatic jobs running in the background and only for the certain defined status job will import to relevant system

so if you have 10 TRs in the import queue for pre-production system e.g.

system will check if the Change doc status is XX (new defined as per your case) and TR in queue will be imported

Thus, one one hand you can automate more with flexibility and secondly new status will assist more transparency(as per your case).

I hope this helps further.

Thanks

Prakhar