cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading dialog instance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have upgraded our ERP 6.0 to EHP6. When I use SWPM to upgrade additional application server on QA I don't see the option for EHP6. Alos wanted to know do we need to uninstall first using SWPM and then install? SWPM has "SAP Netweaver including EHP 3". Please help.

Regards,

SJ

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Download and read the installation guide. It answers all your questions.

You need to download the correct SWPM to get the EHP6 installation option.

You don't need to uninstall anything. If your requirement is to add an additional application server to the existing instance then you just need to run the sapinst on the target node and install it.

The prerequisites are mentioned in the installation guide.

The /sapmnt/SID filesystem from the PAS server should be mounted on the installation node.

You will also need to download the Oracle client media and provide that during the installation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are not installing additional instance. We want to use this one as upgraded one. I checked the installation guide for SWPM SP17 but it doesn't mention anything about upgrading. I had one last question. We have split our ABAP and JAVA instance. Do I need to do anything on DI before upgrading or installing the new version?

isaias_freitas
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello SJ,

Please read the upgrade guide.

It will inform you that the correct procedure would be to perform the upgrade at the Central Instance / Primary Application Server, and that all DIs / AASs have to be uninstalled and re-installed.

When re-installing the DIs, use the same kernel that was used to upgrade the CI.

Best regards,

Isaías

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

>>

It will inform you that the correct procedure would be to perform the upgrade at the Central Instance / Primary Application Server, and that all DIs / AASs have to be uninstalled and re-installed.

<<

This is not correct. The application servers are uninstalled and reinstalled only in case of Java stack and in certain cases like release upgrades. There is no need to uninstall and reinstall the application servers for ABAP stacks during an upgrade. There is an option called "Update Dialog Instances" available in the SUM tool which should be selected so the tool will make necessary modifications to the profiles of the application servers. If this is not selected then you will need to manually make the changes.

>>We have upgraded QA and Dev in the parallel environment. We need an additional application server for parallel QA so user can do their testing. Our support landscape has 2 addional application servers in QA. We are taking one from existing and adding to parallel QA.<<

The reason why I provided the steps to install an application server is because of the above statement from you. If you have not selected the option "Update Dialog Instances" during the preparation phase then you will need to check and update the profiles manually. Based on what you have said, you updated the system from ERP 6.0 to EHP6. As part of the update I believe the start profiles get merged with the instance profiles. So first check if the profiles were merged for the primary application server and if yes then you need to do that manually for the application server instance. Once done check if the AS is working fine.

1528297 - Merge start profile with instance profile

1898687 - Merge start profile with instance profile (Linux/Unix OS)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

What I understood is, the requirement of SJ, is to add one addition application server to existing QA in distributed environment and the AAS he wants to add is not at the same release level of PAS (which is already upgraded), if i m not wrong. Also i understood that the DI which he wants to add was not part of PAS during upgrade of QA. Thats why I suggested him to uninstall the lower version of SAP in DI and install with SWPM and add it to PAS as there is no upgrade option in SWPM for DI alone. Ofcourse, during the installation, merged profile will be created by SWPM automatically and there is no need to merge them manually. S J Please correct me if I am wrong to understand your requirement.

Thanks and best regards,

Ganesan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ganesan,

You are right.

We are adding this application server to our upgraded QA in the parallel landscape. I wanted to know since we split ABAP and JAVA instance and did release upgrade for ABAP stack, do I have to do anything additional for DI before I use the new version using SWPM? Looks like I can add an additional instance on this app or should I uninstall the lower version first and then install the new version? Appreciate the help and sorry for the confusion.

Hi Benjamin,

Please suggest.

Regards,

SJ

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi SJ.

We are adding this application server to our upgraded QA in the parallel landscape. I wanted to know since we split ABAP and JAVA instance and did release upgrade for ABAP stack, do I have to do anything additional for DI before I use the new version using SWPM? Looks like I can add an additional instance on this app or should I uninstall the lower version first and then install the new version?

Yes, You have to either uninstall the Old App server or Reinstall the OS and install the new upgraded ABAP Application server on QA system, using the new version of SWPM.

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

So, we don't need to do anything on DI with respect to split?

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi SJ.

1. Before starting the Java Split in CI, You have to complete in DI(All Application servers) and then finally CI.

2. Kindly refer the SAP Upgrade & Java Split guides

SAP NetWeaver Guide Finder

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

So, we need to first split ABAP and JAVA in dialog instance and then CI?

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI

Yes, In your case you can reinstall the OS and then start the new  DI installation upgraded NW version.

BR

SS

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Have you read my previous replies?

As you have done a stack split before the update, I believe you are referring to the ABAP stack application server here. What is the status of the application server that is part of the upgraded instance? Is it running or stopped (shutdown)?

If there are some issues on the AS side which is due to the upgrade done then you need to fix it based on the errors you observe. If you want to fix the issues (if any) by reinstalling the application server then you may do that. If it is a Windows system then uninstall the old AS and create a new one. If is on Unix / Linux then just start a fresh installation of the AS after moving the old AS files to some other location.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I read all your replies. We have built a parallel landscape which do not have any app servers yet. We decided to move one of the app servers from existing landscape to the parallel landscape. So, I wanted to know if we needed to do anything with the split because our current landscape isn't split yet. Thanks! Looks like I need to install the new DI now.

For our support landscape, we will be splitting on DI first and then CI.

regards,

SJ

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

It is not possible to move an application server that is part of one instance to a system in another landscape. You need to install a new application server where it is required. The app servers has its own profiles and also share the /sapmnt file-system. Just run the sapinst on the target server and get the application server installed. It takes few minutes to get one installed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks! I started the install but it stops and asks to set rdisp/mserv_internal parameter in the default profile which is already set.

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Without logs there is nothing much I can assist you here. If the parameter is already set (not disabled) then maybe the controller cannot check / read the profile? Check if the /sapmnt file system is properly mounted. In any case try restarting the installer and see if that helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have you done EHP6 upgrade in distributed environment? If so, there is an option in SUM to upgrade AAS too. You needed to check it. There are some additional activities mentioned in SUM upgrade guide before downtime in a distributed system. What is the present status of your system and what is your actual requirement?

Regards,

Ganesan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, its a distributed environment in QA. Our QA has been upgraded and working. We are adding an additional application server to it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have upgraded QA and Dev in the parallel environment. We need an additional application server for parallel QA so user can do their testing. Our support landscape has 2 addional application servers in QA. We are taking one from existing and adding to parallel QA. I wanted to know what's the best way to upgrade this dialog instance? Oracle client still points to the older version so looks like we need to update the client on app server and then install the new version or do we need to uninstall the old version first and then install the new version. Please suggest.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am unable to find 70SWPM10SP06*.SAR. The latest one with patch 17 too doesn't have EHP6 for ERP6.0 ABAP. Where can I download the old one from?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In SWPM patch 17, you can see this option. Refer to my below screenshot, it is from SWPM Patch 17. Also, I would like to suggest you to uninstall the existing AAS and install it again with the same Kernel patch of PAS.

You can download it from here : SWPM Patch 17

Regards,

Ganesan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Should I upgrade oracle client on AAS before uninstalling it? I downloaded the latest SWMP and it has option for EHP6 install. Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

During uninstallation of existing SAP instance in AAS, SWPM will remove everything related to SAP from the AAS. Regarding Oracle client, it will be done during installation.

Regards,

Ganesan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SJ,

You can just install the dialog instance with the same release of your PAS using SWPM.

Thanks,

Manas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do we need to update oracle client first. In SWPM I don't see any option related to EHP6. It shows SAP netweaver including EHP3. So which version should I use to install for EHP6.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SJ,

I too had this issue, I think you are using the SWPM for release >731 which doesn't gives the option of EHP6 for ECC. You will have to use the 70SWPM*.SAR file. I did this recently with 70SWPM10SP06_3-20009707.SAR.

You will get the below screen.

Thanks,

Manas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Let me try this. So, I don't need to uninstall?