cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HANA Backup, Linux Mount Points

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

We have a script on a customers server that automatically creates a HANA Backup on their external drive every 24 hour, but the customer likes to switch between external drives and have backups go to that second drive so they can take one drive off site with a backup on.

I have managed to get it working to a degree after setting both mount points to the same area so backups can to go their second external drive, however, if they try to disconnect the drive, it says they're unable to as it was manually mounted. So I'd unmount it, they'd take it out but if they put it back in, it's reset to another mount point.

How would I be able to get it to a point so they can change external drives and the backups automatically go to that drive? They're all on the same mountpoint as where the backups go too but the issue seems to be when they remove the drive, and put it (or another drive) back in.

Please see the attached image. I'm also quite confused, as they only have one drive connected right now (/dev/sdg1) but it still states two others are there. Is this what is meant to happen? (as if I unmounted them.. once they get connected, it'd change the mount point?)

Kind Regards,

Jamie

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jamie,

As far as I know, you should not mount different devices to one mount point in the same time.

You can try to perform the following:

To mount the external device, assuming that it has been formatted and currently no other external devices are mounted to the same mount point (may need to execute rescan-scsi-bus.sh):

1. mount /dev/sde1 /media/TOSHIBA________________

(No need to record it into /etc/fstab)

To replace the external device:

1. umount /media/TOSHIBA________________

2. umount /dev/sde1

3. insert the new external device

4. then mount with the device name (make no change to the mount point)

Regards,

Ning

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ning,

Thank you for the reply!

My customer is hoping to have it more automated than that, I'm afraid. I've essentially being doing that for them already but they'd prefer it so they don't have to do anything except swap them around.

Don't suppose you know of any alternatives to help them?

Kind Regards,

Jamie

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jamie,

From my current knowledge, no alternatives.

Regards,

Ning

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hei,

Software Mirror the 2 drives drives used for backup.

And before removal the customer runs an splitmirror/unmount splitted drive script. (check that no backup is running during split)

And next day after replace drive run an mount/mirror script.

This way you always have same Mount point and can allways write backups.

Regards,

Frans

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frans,

Thank you for the reply!

I'm not too sure on the scripting part myself, but I'll mention this to our development team and see what they see of it and whether it'd be an option for the customer.

Kind Regards,

Jamie