Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance Benchmarks

former_member206857
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have a small ERP 6 install on SQL 2012.

OS/APP/DB all reside on the same physical hardware.

This hardware is old, we just received a brand new piece of hardware.

Setup will remain the same, everything installed on 1 host.

Going to do a homo copy detach/attach option.

What I would like to do, is find some benchmark tests to do for performance before and after the copy.

There should be a massive difference in hardware, many more cores, faster drives and double memory.

Normally I would expect to have my functional team run tests for me and do compares, but I have no staff.

Anyone know a few tests maybe at the SQL I could benchmark?

Any suggestions?

If you require more details let me know as I made the description very light.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member211576
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joshua,

I know you can use SQL Server profiler to capture the workload on production(old) and replay it on your new hardware. But I will not go too far like that. I migrated many systems before and these are my procedures for your reference.

1. I will read note 1612283 and SAP Standard Application Benchmarks to make sure my sizing is correct.

2. I will use iometer to test storage for IOPS.

3. I will run page compression for top 10 tables(MAXDOP=1/4 * number of cores) and run DBCC checkdb in parallel to make sure SQL server will run faster than before.

4. use SGEN to compile all used ABAP objects on both system and compare the runtime.

kaus19d
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joshua,

As you have mentioned that your current setup is old & you are going for the new hardware setups and all these, so if here if you are willing to bring your SAP & database to a latest version, then it would be better that you have a offline backup & upgrade your existing SAP & database & then only you go for the system-copy job. Also some of the relevant notes for this purpose that can be checked are:-

Note 151603, 1152240, 784118, 1650246

Also can take a note of the RFC's before starting the job.

Thanks,

Kaushik

luisdarui
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Joshua,

I believe the space can provide you more details about OVERALL performance analysis. But if you are looking specifically for SQL Server performance analysis, do a search for PERFORMANCE in https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/saponsqlserver/ blog.

Best regards,

Luis Darui

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joshua.

1. You can list the business transactions.

2. Before migration you can enble the trace using transaction code st12.

3. Do the SAP homogeneous system copy to migrate the new hardware.

4. After migration once again enable the trace and compare the before & after traces.

BR

SS