cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SYBASE Replication doubts -- Few questions were m stuck--Need clarifications .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone ,

I just entered in SYBASE Replication World , started reading manuals .But its time consuming and most of things i will not get now  .

So just curious to know below question where i get stuck as of now . May be my doubts are very simple , silly .But really it will help  a lot if some one answer it .

1). How to check what sort/type of replication is used in SRS system .?((i.e. is it warm standby, MSA, or table level)

2). How to confirm whether replication is there for DB ?(which is in Primary ASE) ? [Sometime i see partial value for sp_help_rep_agent but then when i check in SRS system agents are down || May be disabled ]

3). How to confirm replication is enabled & is running or can say working properly ?  [If answer is sp_help_rep_agent what column or value we see mainly and how to confirm it is not disabled or stooped ] ?

4). Step by step how to check/confirm & VALIDATE flow of data from Primary ASE to Replicated ASE ?

5). Suppose i just got a host name to check replication status . Whole systems ( Primary , replicated ASE & corresponding repservers ) all started all together .No apps are connected as of now . How to check/Know which is primary ASE(ACTIVE ASE ) ?

AS i know we can track by

* sp_who if apps are connected means Primary ASE .

* Via log file we can confirm .

* Check via interfaces file .Replicated ASE will have entry for all server detail in SRS system .

But i want to know is there any command to check status of Primary (ASE) server . Like we have in HARD enabled system .(select @@hadr_mode)

Thanks in advance.

Namaste

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark ,

Thanks for replying , i can see you spent a time on answering my silly questions .

I will take my doubt 1 by 1 , rather asking all at a time . As it create confusion .

1). How to check what sort/type of replication is used in SRS system .?((i.e. is it warm standby, MSA, or table level)

As you mentioned  there is no proper tool or fix way to check & confirm this .Please correct me if i got something wrong as per above your reply .

For WARM STANDBY :-

==> admin logical_status    // In RS    (Can we run this in all RS like PRS , RRS .....) or only PRS ?

If  no output means no  database level replication .

For MSA and object (ie, table/proc) level replication  :-

Run [RSSD] procs like rs_helprep, rs_helpdbrep, rs_helpsub, rs_helpdbsub

One favor from all ,  Can anyone  paste the output of all 3 above case like how to verify ...

1         . WARM STANDBY                   ===> admin logical_status

2 & 3 . MSA and object  level replication ====>  rs_helprep, rs_helpdbrep, rs_helpsub, rs_helpdbsub

Thanks & Regards

Namaste

Mark_A_Parsons
Contributor
0 Kudos

For warm standby there is only one repserver, ie, PRS and RRS refer to the same repserver.

If no output from admin logical_status then this means that particular repserver is not managing a warm standby pair. Keep in mind that there are 2 types of database level replication ... 1) warm standby and 2) MSA.  admin logical_status only deals with warm standby.

For sample output of the various commands and/or RSSD procs ... a) see examples in the manuals (eg, Reference manual) or b) try running the commands/procs in one of your repservers to see what you get as output. [NOTE: Output from RSSD procs will vary based on RS version and the input paramaters - if any - you supply to the procs.]

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member89972
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Welcome  !!  You mention that you are starting into replication server world.

It may help if you provide inputs on you role in managing SAP/Sybase products like ASE and Replication Server.

In my opinion : One should get enough exposure to RDBMses (ASE in particular) so that you use Replication to distribute data where needed in the company and also use SAP/Sybase replication server for special tasks like upgrades, DR, etc.

SAP/Sybase used to have "Fast Track To .... " courses/training for ASE/RS/IQ.

It will help if you have access to these courses/training through your company.

If it is mostly self learning then manuals and having a small lab (ASE, RS, IQ, etc) at your disposal will help.  SAP/Sybase has free DEV versions of ASE but no free DEV version of RS.

Personally I found Rob Verschoor's handbooks really useful to quickly get to the commands and syntax.

RV has published handbooks for ASE, RS and IQ.  YMMV 🙂

If your company has a proper support contract then you can also request trial/evaluation versions of SAP/Sybase products.

If you have specific questions SCN forum can help to get the issue resolved in some way.

Welcome again

Cheers.

Avinash