cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dbsrv16.exe missing from BIN64 folder

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

this morning I had a working Crystal Server 2016 application server with SQL Anywhere 16 on the local machine as the CMS database server. This afternoon I installed the Crystal Server 2016 client tools package on the same server - a task maybe not recommended but one I have done before many times.

After the install of the client tools, the SIA would not start because of an issue with the CMS not finding database drivers. Looking in the ODBC manager I saw that there were no SQL Anywhere drivers available so I downloaded and installed them again via the relevant SAP site (meaning I had to install the full SQL Anywhere client - Sybase Central application etc).

This changed the error message the CMS generated slightly to one of 'no server available'.

It appears that either the install of the client tools or the SQL Anywhere client has deleted some files from the C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\sqlanywhere\BIN64 folder - neither the dbsvc.exe nor the dbsrv16.exe files are present, nor are others I imagine would be there. I cannot start the SQL Anywhere Windows service and consequently the CMS database is offline.

I cannot use the Sybase Central or command line options to create a new service to run the database either because of the missing files.

I'm currently running a repair install of the Crystal Server implementation in the hope that it replaces the SQL Anywhere files - but does anyone have any other advice?

thanks

Keith

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Keith,

I don't understand how SQL Anywhere is shipped with Crystal Server but installing SQL Anywhere Client should not interact with SQL Anywhere components in BOBj installation path, as they uses different paths.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for the reply - looks like it was the client tool install that was responsible, but still no idea how - have restored the server and it's all back working now

thanks

Keith

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member188493
Contributor
0 Kudos

This is a WAG... Do those files exist in the bin32 folder?

Is it possible that the 32-bit version of SQL Anywhere was being used previously, and somehow something changed to point to the 64-bit version which had never been installed?

FWIW it is technically possible to freely switch back and forth between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of SQL Anywhere, while still using the same *.db database file.

( the phrase "somehow something changed" is intentionally vague and magical : )

Former Member
0 Kudos

I had the server restored as the repair install did not change anything in the SQL Anywhere folder sadly.

The original position of the SQL Anywhere folder revealed by the restore shows that the BIN64 folder had a couple of dozen files, executables and folders in it - there were only two left after whatever happened had happened and I was facing an unresponsive system.

Not sure how, but I'm betting the install of the Client Tools was somehow responsible - I'll try it again when I have time.

thanks for the response

Keith