cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to roughly estimate performance improvement by archiving?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I would like to leverage any information you have on how to roughly estimate performance improvement from archiving.

Example: Archiving scope 5 tables, Chronologically archiving ~200GB of data, consider archived data will only be accessed once in 2-3 years.

What is the best way to get a good feeling about any performance improvements that I can show to business.

Thanks,

Alex

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

Performance estimates are always a touchy subject and difficult to quantify especially in your case where you don't have sufficient data points. Also performance is very subjective and dependent on a number of external factors such as Servers, Network, Users and peak loads, etc.. Rather than to try to frame it to the business as a performance improvement, try to illustrate the benefits they can expect to see from such a undertaking. I am thinking primarily of cost factors such as: a) How much does it costs you for 1GB of Database space?, b) How long does it take to backup and how much does backup space cost, c) How long does it take to recover from a catastrophic failure e.g. DB restoration or complete System restoration, d) If your company has plans to go HANA, each GB of data will cost you an arm and a leg. These are factors you can estimate with the data you have at hand, everything else is a gamble.

PS. You might also find other, non-functional areas in SAP with extensive growth, these are typically the areas you go after first to trim down your system and gains are sometimes quite easy to realize with simple DB Reorg, etc.

Good Luck,

//Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your comment!

I totally share the same ideas as you mentioned here, however I will still need to try and look for some performance KPIs as performance is one of the main business needs in my case.

I find point d) in your comment very interesting. Can you share more information on how the storage situation changes with implementing HANA?

Best Regards,

Alex

0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

There are obviously no $-number that I can share with you, but there is plenty of information available that can help you to formulate your KPI's

Here's a good cost analysis that is sheding some light on the cost distribution of a HANA Platform. http://www.sap.com/bin/sapcom/en_us/downloadasset.2014-04-apr-14-22.projected-cost-analysis-of-the-s...

A while ago I came across this SAP HANA Cookbook from August 4 2015 and one thing caught my attention was the recommendation made in section section 1.3.5.1

'You can reduce capital and operating hardware costs as well as other operating costs by shrinking the size of your database. Therefore it is strongly recommended to perform housekeeping and remove any unnecessarydata". https://proddps.hana.ondemand.com/dps/d/preview/0edf65cbbc3143b4b7216b1f5fd22040/1.0/en-US/loioccd52...

Hope this helps,

//Peter

Answers (0)