cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Database - Speed Slow

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I upgraded our MaxDB database from version 7.8.02.27 to version 7.9.08.39.

We are running our first refresh from PROD to QA after the upgrade, and the restore that used to take a few hours for the 1 TB database, now ran for 3 days:

Anyone aware of response issues like this on the new MaxDB version?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could you see the increment of data file size in the target system? if so, I m sure that it is the problem at network level, may be, your backup is on another shared location. I would suggest you to map the drive on which backup is available as a local drive in the target system and authorize logon using the SIDADM of the source system. I faced the same issue like this in Windows server and the above method solved my issue.

Regards,

Ganesan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I copied the backup to a local drive, and the restore took 2 hours:

It might still be something else than network, because to copy the data over to the local drive took 2 hours as well.

I was still using Database Manager, but now switched over to Database Studio which I used for the above restore.  When I want to test the restore over the network using DB Studio, it is giving me "access denied" errors, please check if you have experienced similar?

The logged in user have full access to the file, but in DB Studio giving access errors.

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Willem,

As I see from note 1377148 - FAQ: SAP MaxDB backup / recovery, maybe for restore, you still need to use UNC name.

24.What is important when performing backups on network shares on Microsoft Windows?

All of the SAP MaxDB services (database, service database, X server) must be started with a user that has the relevant rights for the network shares. By default, all of the SAP MaxDB services are started as a local system user who has no change authorization for network shares.

The location of the backup file must be specified using a UNC name. The use of a network drive mapped using Microsoft Windows tools is not allowed.

Please check this thread https://scn.sap.com/thread/3735818.

Another thing for restore speed, maybe it is caused by using old database manager which is only for SAP MaxDB Version < 7.8.

Regards,

Ning

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think, UNC is already used in the recovery template. It seems the issue may be, with the user authorization over the network. You can check it with your network team to solve this issue. Also, you could try to validate the data transfer speed over the specified network to troubleshoot the network issues.

Regards,

Ganesan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Changing the IP address to FQDN and also using a different share name did work to restore over the network.

Thanks for the help.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Willem,

Maybe it is caused by the restriction of speed or network status of network file system (\\192.168.4.35.....)

Regards,

Ning