cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFC to WSDL scenario

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys. I am a new member of this forum and relatively new in XI.

Our client wants to do the following:

They have an SAP system v4.6 connected to a middleware named BEA that performs all the communication with all their legacy systems. Their communication is real-time, synchronous RFC-to-WSDL. SAP sends RFC's (calls BAPI'S) to BEA and BEA calls the corresponding WSDL (Web Service) depending on the function that they want to execute.

What they want to do is to upgrade their current version of SAP to the last one and for that reason, BEA will not be able to support the last RFC versions. The BEA's RFC adapter will be outdated. Therefore, they want to put XI in-between and leave BEA also in the landscape. As a result, SAP will send RFC's to XI and XI will forward these RFC's to BEA and BEA will keep on doing the functionality that already does. They want to implement 20-30 similar interfaces.

Do u have any idea about the general concept of the implementation?? I mean XI should be just forwarding RFC's or should it be mapping the RFC's into input data to WSDL?? If the second is the case, then I do not see the reason why BEA should stay in the landscape (as the client claims)?

Thank you.

Best Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can directly call the webservice from XI. So your scenario would be RFC-XI-Webservice(SOAP).

check this weblog for some help on this:

/people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2006/03/23/rfc--xi--webservice--a-complete-walkthrough-part-1

/people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2006/03/28/rfc--xi--webservice--a-complete-walkthrough-part-2

In the above weblog instead of the authors webservice you will have your own webservice.

Is this what you are looking for?

---Satish

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Evaggelos,

I couldn't find there is any requirement of using BEA in your case.

RFCs and Webservice's WSDL can directly interact with each other and can work very efficiently through XI.You will have to map RFC export parameters to WSDL import.

If your client still have some very essential constraint then only introduce BEA in the picture.It will make the integration more complex and will be difficult to support as well.

Thanks

Amitanshu

If you think the answer helped you then please reward points

Message was edited by:

Amitanshu Deep

Message was edited by:

Amitanshu Deep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your replies guys.

Amitanshu,

1) If my client still has some very essential constraint and wants me to introduce BEA in the picture, how will the implementation look like?

2) In case that BEA moves out from the landscape:

a) Do I have to take care of the legacy systems as well and introduce them in the ID? Or I will just only interact with the WSDL and I will call the Web Service through the SOAP adapter?

b) In message mapping do I need to import WSDL in IR? I mean message mapping will be from RFC export parameters to WSDL or from RFC to a new data type/import data to WSDL.

Thank you

Best Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi-

<i>

1) If my client still has some very essential constraint and wants me to introduce BEA in the picture, how will the implementation look like?</i>

I don`t think here BEA is required it does the same wat XI does,You can explain this to the client,if they sstill persist then the scenarion would be like RFC-XI-WSDL(To BEA in this case)

<i>a) Do I have to take care of the legacy systems as well and introduce them in the ID? Or I will just only interact with the WSDL and I will call the Web Service through the SOAP adapter?</i>

Here you can use RFC -XI- SOAP scenario

<i>b) In message mapping do I need to import WSDL in IR? I mean message mapping will be from RFC export parameters to WSDL or from RFC to a new data type/import data to WSDL.</i>

Only RFC to WSDL is required

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

We had a similar requirement when e had to do a XI to WebMethods integraton.

The lessons learnt and a few tips and tricks relevant to your question have been identified in this blog posted by one of my colleagues. Check it out,

/people/abhy.thomas/blog/2007/04/19/sap-xi--webmethods-integration-150-challenges-and-migration-strategies

Regards

Bhavesh