cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps to implement an Exit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am relatively new into SAP and utmost of my experience is utilized in using standard SAP. Now couple of requirements are forcing me to go for customization and I need your valuable assistance for that.  I have got following two requirements,

1. Control creation of inspection lots based on production work centre & during good receipt against purchase order- Exit suggested is QAAT0001

2. UD check. If any of the inspection characteristic is rejected, then UD with 'Accept' valuation must be prevented- Exit suggested is QEVA0010.

I know I got to work with ABAP team to implement the solution but frankly speaking, I really don't know what to say to technical team except the exit names and my requirement.

Please share the steps/ method/ or any information which is required for applying an exit. I have never used an exit before.

I will be grateful to you experts.  This is really important for me.

Thanks,

Raj

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You don't need to know technically how to implement the exit.  That's the developer's job.  Your company or firm should have a template already for writing a functional specification.  In that, you can describe exactly what you need to do. 

Arijit is right in that it takes some practice and experience to get these right.  Your first ones will probably not be good.  A lot is knowing the level of knowledge your developer has and what they expect.  If  you can, get one that has already been completed to see what your developers are used to getting.  In some places, with some developers, you have to be very specific and wrtie in every last thing that they have to do. For instance, "Verify validity of date and return error message that entered date is not a valid date".  In otther places with other developers, they already have programming standards in place and the developer doesn't need to be told to validate all inputted data.

You should be thinking and have a design in mind for how you want it too work.  In your case where and how do you identify what work centers get inspection lots.  Is it hard coded in program? Is there a list in a Z table? Is there a field to check in the work center?  When new work centers are added how are you going to update what ever needs to get updated? What if an exisiting work center now needs inspection lots but didn't before?  Will this be possibly leveraged by other plants or future aquistions?  etc. etc..Always, always develop with an eye to the future.  make sure it follows standard SAP desing so that future upgrades and patches won't break it.  Avoid hard-coding.  Avoid Z-tables if you can. 

I would meet first with someone that has written them in your group first.  Then meet with the developer you are writing it for and get a sense of their abilities.  Working with a new developer can be very difficult.  Or even working with one not familar with your module.

Good luck!

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Craig,

I appreciate your in depth response which is very useful for me. Yes we have a Z table where 'Plant' and 'Work center' combination is set. Logic is something like if a combination is maintained in that table, then inspection lot shouldn't generate in the plant for the work center.

For instance,

Plant- 1000

Work center - A100, A200, A300

Plant- 2000

Work center - B100, B200, B300

Now if 1000-A100, 1000-A300, 2000-B200 are maintained in the Z table, then inspection lot shouldn't generate for the work centers A100 and A300 in plant 1000 & for B200 in plant 2000.

In future, if requirement comes up for generation of inspection lot, then Z table can be modified and only required sets will be maintained. Same goes when there is addition of work center or if any work center is discarded. All need to do is maintain the Z table as per the requirement.

There is no other logic known as of now. This is accepted to users and also the data management team. I' am not sure if this much of info, along with the exit name, is sufficient for the developer.

I understand this is going to be bit harsh on me when I'll go for my initial customization but I have to learn it as there is no other option

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Unfortunately some things can only be learned by doing.

Especially when it comes to different companies.  When I go to a new project, I have to re-learn a lot of that same stuff myself again.  I.e. what THIS client expects, how good/bad their developers are, their expectations, etc.. etc..

Craig

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I understand you have taken a common material for different work centers which need an inspection at some places and not the others.

I trust your defined logic should work and your ABAPer can easily do that. Careful, you don't want to miss what Mr Craig has suggested, it all depends on the quality of developers you get.

Some times, you got to teach them every step and other times if fortunate enough, you only have to tell them your expectations and they'll do all the work by themselves.

Now is the time for you to talk to your tech team or you must know them better. If they fall in the smart category, you only have to explain them your latest response. And if unfortunately they are not the smartest people, you might need to explain a bit more but that'll definitely enhance your skills. 

NJ

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Go to cmod - > create a project.

Assign Enhancement exit names in the project.

Put a break point in the exits and run the transaction .

Check whether the breakpoint is triggering.

If it triggers this is the right place for you to code it.

Regards,

Chaitanya

Message was edited by: Request to reward points was removed from post.  That is against SCN Rules of Engagement.  Moderator - Craig S

busyaban7
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

You need to develop an approach to come out with a functional solution, which should fix any gaps in your process. This is the very difficult part to answer as this part can't be taught and this comes with experience.

Thanks,

Arijit