cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explain how lineage works in InfoStew

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can someone explain to me how lineage works in IS? Where does one start? how does it figure out the data source?

Let's say I'm completely ignorant of how this works and how to do it (because I am), can someone fill me in?

I've looked through the Admin and End User docs and haven't found much. So if it's in there in detail, please point me to it.

The more you can provide or explain or point me to, the better.

I have InfoStew 4.2.

thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

aasavaribhave
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Please check the IS user guide : http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/sboIS42/en/is_42_user_en.pdf

It has examples on how to view lineage\ read lineage diagrams - e.g. a column in webi report is pulled from universe based on a data source that is populated say by Data Services.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you provide specific pages in that doc. I've looked and did not see, so I must've missed it.

thanks

aasavaribhave
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

some around page 211 and then 379 onwards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I guess what I'm really wondering is how is lineage established. I think of it as "here is column1 in table1 and it's original source is column6 in table8". Is that not what IS lineage does? And if it does, then how does it establish such a lineage. Just because I scan system1 and system2 - getting all their tables, columns, views, etc - doesn't automatically establish any "source links" between the two, if they exist. Or does it, and if it does, how? What is the key to establishing a lineage? Or am I defining the term incorrectly?

thanks for any insight.

0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

The best way to explain how the lineage is created is by making it simple. You have a Mother and Father maybe some siblings. They are all part of your lineage.

The same holds true for the lineage of whatever object your looking at. For example if you run an integrator from Metadata Manager against a BI Enterprise Repository. You should get all the reports and all the lineage that it took to create that document.

Report>Universe>Objects>DSO>and so on.

The integrators are explained in detail by the company that creates them for SAP/BO.

Take a look. http://www.metaintegration.net/Partners/SAP.html

Hope this helps.

BW

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is this true of only doing a scan of a BI Enterprise Repository? For example, if I scan a single Oracle system or single SQL Server system, I assume that because it's only one system you won't get lineage - there's no way for it to know where it's sources are. Is that correct?

thanks

0 Kudos

Yes if you're looking for the items that I listed in my last post.

You can run a relational crawl on any database then make associations between them to get the lineage that maybe you're looking for.

Sounds like you need to look into the MITI site and look at what your trying get for the end result.

Thanks,

BW

Former Member
0 Kudos

Let me beat this dead horse one last time: when you say "make associations between them," exactly how is that done?

thanks

0 Kudos

Ken,

It sounds like to me you need some training. Rather then me telling you. You could go through interactive training here.

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-8751

You should also follow the following pages.

Coffee Corner

Meet the expert

They cover a lot of how topics.

Thanks,

BW

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's for sure. Unfortunately, no mula. So thanks for the pointers in your last response.

Former Member
0 Kudos

One last thing - I appreciate the hints re Coffee Corner, etc. However, the interactive training has nothing that I can find about lineage. Certainly nothing titled that. If it's there, it's sunk (hidden?) in one of the topics somewhere.

0 Kudos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZVKoGsQR-0

Give this a try. There's a lot of free training though YouTube. You just have to search for it.