Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to load license from license server

former_member1144245
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

Our license server was recently migrated. Ever since then, there have been issues for some people unable to open PowerDesigner because the license file can't load. This is the case even when people update the license parameters to point to the new server. A few points to note:

The error is for standalone seat, served licenses which are v15.2 and not floating licenses.

Error message box includes the following statements:

• Failed to borrow license for feature PD_SHELL
  • Failed to obtain 1 license for PD_SHELL feature from license file(s) or server(s)
  • License server machine is down or not responding

Tech support with SAP has been engaged. Server has been re-started. Not sure what all has been tried as I'm not the one doing the actual trouble shooting. In my own case, PowerDesigner continues to work just fine. In my case, not being able to connect to the license server to "return" the license seems to have left me with a dedicated license on my machine.

Note that I did find some troubleshooting steps to try in the documentation, but the person I'm in touch with continues to have issues.

Wondering if anyone might be familiar with this type of problem and has any suggestions for what could be done to fix it. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member200945
Contributor
0 Kudos

Check Sybase.log , which locates at the sysam server machine, in sysam folder, logs subfolder.

When someone fails to brorrow a license, you should see his name and error in the log.

Since 15.2 is very old version, I wonder where did you generate the license.

The license from SAP site has some differences with the one from Sybase site.

former_member1144245
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply Phillip. To clarify, we have use PowerDesigner for more than 10 years. The version 15 licenses were generated long before Sybase was acquired by SAP. We actually have a mix of licenses at an enterprise level, but many (myself included) haven't upgraded as there has been no compelling reason. It works great as is and his highly customizable.

I can ask them to look at the log, but what to do with that information?

former_member200945
Contributor
0 Kudos

The log tells you:

Did the server start successfully?

Which license file it read.

If an error occurs, why.