cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Backups on Ext Drive Help

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure whether this is in the right area, or if anyone can help but it's worth a shot! (Please don't shoot me if not!)

I'm dealing with a Customer who only my work colleagues have had to deal with on a technical level, but recently they left so it's put me in a bit of a situation. Our customer uses a script to automatically backup their system every 24 hours, sending it to their external drive. However, what they're after (and has been done, but was reset due to an update) was if they remove that drive, and put in a different one, is the backups continue but to that remaining drive without having to manually edit the path it goes too.

To clarify:

Backups currently go to "/media/TOSHIBA______________/Backup/Data"

but they want to be able to remove that drive to take off site, and put in another external drive: "/media/TOSHIBA__________/Backup/Data"

And for the backups to continue but go to that new drive without changing the path themselves. So they don't have to worry about it and know they have a backup they can take off site and know it's still taking them.

The script takes the default path from the SAP HANA Studio to know where to send new backups, so changing the path is easy although my customer is hellbent on wanting it to automatically go to the next drive they put in.

Any advice on this?

Thank you,

Jamie

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jamie,

If my understanding is right, switching external driver/storage without changing backup path is better assuming the folder and permissions have been set in new external driver/storage as no manually activities need to be made.

Regards,

Ning

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ning,

Thanks for the speedy reply!

I didn't actually make it clear on what I was actually wanting, I apologise for that.

I'm not actually sure how to do it so they don't have to change their backup path each time which is the problem. They want the backups to go the external drive that is set up, without having to change the path each time they change it around, how would I do this?

Thanks!

Jamie

jitendra_kumar01
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Jamie,

If I understood your problem right, then it might require permission  chmod 777 for the folder and backup path for new external drive Then you can try to trigger the backup for the new external drive.

Regards

JItendra

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jamie,

Mount your external driver on directory /media/TOSHIBA______________/Backup/Data (maybe you need to format it before), and keep /media/TOSHIBA______________/Backup/Data permission used before.

Regards,

Ning

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ning,

Would you be able to clarify that please? Still learning my way around the command line and all but:

Primary Drive: /media/TOSHIBA______________/Backup/Data

Second Drive: /media/TOSHIBA__________/Backup/Data

(May be why I got confused as you referenced the first drive. Annoying how my customer have named them but yeah.)

I currently have the second drive in (So any automatic backups now, should go to the second drive as thats the one in the system), and I've done (df -h) to check the mounts and have:

/dev/sde1 mounted on the second drive /media/TOSHIBA__________/Backup/Data

Am I meant to change the mount of /dev/sde1 to be the Primary drive?

If so.. don't suppose you could tell me that command?

Thanks again, I appreciate you taking the time to talk me through it! Still all a little alien to me.

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jamie,

Mount point (or directory) /media/TOSHIBA______________/Backup/Data is used for backup, right? (why does it have a different number of underscore?)

If you want to change external drive, then you need to perform (let's say old external device name is /dev/sdx1, for example)

1. umount /media/TOSHIBA______________/Backup/Data

2. umount /dev/sdx1

Then connect the new drive (let's say new external device name is /dev/sdx2, for example)

1. mount /dev/sdx2 /media/TOSHIBA______________/Backup/Data

Hope it can make you clear.

Regards,

Ning

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ahh, that makes sense. Just carried it out (And hopefully tomorrow, this second drive should have the backup). Thank you for clearing that up for me. Still learning Linux as the person who usually deals with it has been away for a while so it got dropped onto me, aha. But thank you again, I appreciate it!

I have just tried a manual backup and got this error:

"backup could not be completed, Cannot open file ""<root>/.COMPLETE_DATA_BACKUP_100816_databackup_0_1" ((closed, mode= W, access= rw-r-----, flags= DIRECT|TRUNCATE|MULTI_WRITERS|UNALIGNED_SIZE), factory= (root= "/media/TOSHIBA______________/" (access= rw-r-----, flags= AUTOCREATE_PATH|DISKFULL_ERROR, usage= DATA_BACKUP, fs= ext3, config= (async_write_submit_active=auto,async_write_submit_blocks=new,async_read_submit=off,num_submit_queues=1,num_completion_queues=1,size_kernel_io_queue=512,max_parallel_io_requests=64,min_submit_batch_size=16,max_submit_batch_size=64))", rc=13: Permission denied"

Any idea to fix this part?

After doing some research, I found this page ( http://expertisenpuru.com/error-backup-save-data-finished-with-error-447-backup-could-not-be-complet... ) but not sure the problems that'd persist with the offered solution.

Answers (0)