Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why should Client purchase SAP Fiori Product

Phani_Kumar
Participant
0 Kudos

HI ,

I am going through all the links related to SAP Fiori & UI5 .  But all i have been wondering is why Client should purchase SAP Fiori. I am not able to find one solid & good reason for this.

Can you please let me know what are the advantages of Using SAP Fiori & Why should Customers incorporate this in their systems

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Pawan

I recommend you try this in your search engine "benefits of fiori"

Also, Fiori has no license cost to the customer

The challenge is to decide whether it holds any benefits to your customer.

I also recommend you look at the UX/Fiori courses in open.sap.com and also experience.sap.com to understand it - it's they key areas where you see this

As this is the roadmap for UI and also contributes to UX, I'm very surprised you are struggling to find an answer. Or is it that you don't agree with the reasons?

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

karthikarjun
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To Answer to your question, Y should use fiori?

It is simply awesome, It don't have licence cost, It has a feature to run on any devices, to reduce the business complexity, improved the standards of SAP, trying to transform the digital environment etc...

SAP, it run simple with simple arch and simple design.

Last but not least, SAP Fiori is not only for the UI it has more responsibility to enhance the current business.

Regards,

Karthik A

Jocelyn_Dart
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Pawan,

As the others have said....

There is no license cost for any OOTB Fiori apps, for any OOTB Fiori capabilites, or for the primary UI Technology behind Fiori i.e. SAPUI5 or its very similar open sourced equivalent OPENUI5. Similarly the Fiori Design guidelines, training (via OpenSAP courses), Fiori Elements (Smart Templaes), SDKs for SAPUI5 and OPENUI5, and even design stencils are provided free of charge.

Also you should note the Fiori design paradigm is the unified strategic direction for all new apps and UI clients across all SAP solutions.

Costs that you may need to consider are:

• Cost of hosting a SAP Gateway server if you prefer to keep your frontend server (which hosts the deployed apps and associated OData services) on-premise

• Alternatively Subscription costs to HCP (HANA Cloud Platform) if you prefer a Cloud offering for your frontend server and/or OData services

• Enablement costs for skilling up your people in the Fiori Design paradigms, Fiori Design elements, SAPUI5, OData, etc.. 
    • However note that as Colleen mentions there are several freely provided MOOCs via OpenSAP Courses

• Design and development costs for any additional custom apps you wish to create.
    • Here again it should be noted that SAP is putting a tremendous amount of effort into reducing these costs, e.g. via BUILD the design/prototyping tool which will go GA within the next few weeks, and via Fiori Elements (Smart Templates).

You can also optionally purchase UX services to fast track getting started with Fiori.

E.g.

UX Advisory services for guidance re hosting/deployment options & planning your UX roadmap,

UX Design services for design led development if this is not a current skill,

Rapid Deployment services and Best Practices of various types to set up/verify your environment, implement your first Fiori app, implement additional apps, set up the Fiori launchpad, set up all your chosen Fiori OOTB apps, etc.

Hope that helps. 

Rgds,

Jocelyn

Phani_Kumar
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jocelyn Dart,

Thanks alot...!!!

I concord with what you said..Even I knew that using SAP Fiori/UI5 , Users will get new experience and Most of the daily routine applications can be seamlessly accessible from anywhere  .

But What i am expecting is , will it really makes operations faster compared to classical gui screens? or is it just for new UX  &  for getting business applications available in Mobile ?

or is it having any other features as well ?

Can you please let me know if there are any other benefits apart from those pointed above.

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

HI Pawan

It all comes down to usability

One of the Fiori design principle is for role based. You only give the user what they need for their particular job instead of a one size fits all. The other all contribute to usability

So let's put this in practical terms with a bunch of hypothetical scenarios...

You have a call centre who create sales orders (this is the common scenario). It takes them on average 10 minutes to create a sales order as they have to search multiple screens and tabs to complete the requirement information. Your customer is stuck on the phone or at the counter for 10 minutes - possibly longer whilst this is going on.

Now imagine you have a call centre of 250 people create sales orders. If they work an 8 hour shift at 40 hours and assume they are awesome at what they do in churning the calls then each worker can create 6 sales orders per hour. This means 6 per hour x 8 per day x 250 workers = 12000 requests at 10 minutes per each

Now imagine a bit more and what if the sales screen was simplified and it only took them 5 minutes to lodge the request. The compnay may find itself in the situation where it can increase sales requests with same number of works (yay more revenue) OR reduce workers (sorry workers but that's cost reduction)

In addition, the customer (or your future customer) leaves with a better experience as they are spending half the time on the phone for the sales. As well as that, in all likelihood they are spending less time on hold waiting for an operation as they get frustrated and complain about customer service on your Twitter or Facebook feed.

Improve usability for a better experience if done properly can increase your financial bottom line.

The key piece it to figure out where to target UX improvements and starting with High Volume, repetitive activities can be a quick win as you can measure improvements

Another example for mobile/everywhere is that you can have your field service people out in the field lodging sales, works orders, etc without having to call back in to the office. Imagine these guys needing a spare part to get repairs done. Instead of driving 200+km back to the office to request it they can order it on the spot and have it delivered. They cut down a round trip of 200k which saves them time. It also means the customer might get their repair sooner

Then there's HR and time sheeting. Help make that process easier ensures more timely and accurate pay for shift working scenarios or casual work.

So many practical use cases. They key is to look at the business process and see where simplifying can help reduce cost, improve revenue, offer a better employee or customer experience, etc.

Regards

Colleen

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Pawan Kalyan wrote:

I concord with what you said..Even I knew that using SAP Fiori/UI5 , Users will get new experience and Most of the daily routine applications can be seamlessly accessible from anywhere  .

Yeah, that's what SAP wants you to believe. Everything is awesome [on paper].

Good question. We don't actually use Fiori or any new UI for that matter. But in general I feel it's always wise to research a product from all aspects. Look not only at the advantages but also at potential pitfalls or some hidden requirements. E.g.  almost every time I look into some product I find the official information how great and easy to use it is, but then unofficial information that just to make it run we'll also need to install some gateway, this server, that server, and oh, if it's not a unicode system then it's a problem, etc. Unfortunately, this information is frequently not easy to find.

For the consumer products I usually google the negative feedback, e.g. by searching for "<product name> problem". (If Google starts prompting "... sucks" as you type it's not a good sign. ) So in addition to looking for Fiori advantages, make sure to check SCN for the challenges other customers facing.

Also the SAP events are great for getting this kind of information. E.g. last year at TechEd there was a good session on how to estimate ROI for UI projects, I mentioned it here.

Good luck!

Jocelyn_Dart
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Pawan,

Agree absolutely with Colleen - it's the UX design that makes the biggest difference.  The SAPUI5 technology is a great enabler.  However the real difference of Fiori to me is in the design approach.

There has and continues to be a growing amount of design rigour in the OOTB Fiori apps being released.  But... and here's where 's cautions are worth considering...

Some of the very early apps in retrospect didn't quite hit the mark.  Like most of us in the HTML5 world we look back at what we did 6-12 months ago and go "we could do that better now".

Also while there is greater UX design rigour - we research a particular business role and research with selected end users for each app.  You should not assume that your business roles and your end users let alone your business processes are an exact fit with our discovery.  It only takes one missing field or function to change a delightful app into an irritating one.

So...

#1 - Do NOT treat UX as a technical only upgrade of User Interfaces.  That's a recipe for failure.

#2 - Add some collaboration and end user research rigour of your own before you deploy.

The most successful customers I have seen:

a) Plan their UX roadmap carefully - so that it delivers real & measurable benefits... (not waste time on low value scenarios that no-one really cares about)

b) Collaborate actively with carefully selected end user representatives.  One of my standout customers had a Change Advisory Board of 18 users representing the major business role groupings in the organisation

c) Consider their stakeholders... it always helps to make sure your early apps give some benefits to the execs who are coughing up the UX budget

d) Set rapid, iterative, and realistic goals with clear benefits to both the end users and the business

e) Get going ... don't wait for everything to be perfect or everything to be OOTB.  That might mean creating a custom app and getting outside help in the short term to help flatten the learning curve. You might need to import design skills as well as development skills.

Oh and the other big thing... recognize that given SAP's current strategic direction everything gets easier and easier the closer you get to S/4HANA.  So try and factor in where you are on the transition path... if you are planning to go to S/4 in the short to medium term there may be some things you can defer. If S/4HANA is still a long way off, you might want to look at OOTB capabilities such as Fiori Elements (aka Smart Templates) and not just OOTB apps to get you early wins.  

Hope that helps

Jocelyn

vinita_kasliwal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Pawan

You can see all benefits listed at the page below :

www.sapuxdome.com/sap-fiori-advantages-and-disadvantages/

http://go.sap.com/india/product/technology-platform/fiori.html

https://news.sap.com/sap-fiori-improves-user-experience/

Did you try the demo version of these apps at the below link :

https://www.sapfioritrial.com/sites?helpset=trial&sap-client=001

- To quickly summarize the main reason would be the enhanced look and feel of the app version as compared to the older GUI / Portal Version .

- Since these are Amazon like apps which means no training needed at all

- Lastly these are free for SAP clients so no additional cost except for Net-weaver gateway installation which anyway is installed these days as a part of ECC

I hope that helps

Regards

Vinita

Phani_Kumar
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vinita,

Thanks alot...!!!

But What i am expecting is , will it really makes operations faster compared to classical gui screens? or is it just for new UX  &  for getting business applications available in Mobile ?

or is it having any other features as well ?

Can you please let me know if there are any other benefits apart from those pointed above.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pawan

What are you bench marking Fiori & UI5 against?

Regards

Arden