Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best method for performing SAP Hana sizing

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I am trying to forecast the sizing of an entire landscape to be migrated to SAP Hana.

There are several usage types - ERP, BW, SRM, Portal, Solman, etc.

Generally there are 2 possible approaches - by formula and by report:

- While checking on how exactly to calculate the required memory, for example, I found

3 different formulas on how to calculate it. All of them, of course give different results.

1) RAM total = RAM dynamic + RAM static = Source DB size * 2 /7

» SAP HANA Sizing

2) The quick and easy approach from note 1793345 - Sizing for SAP Suite on HANA:

(2000 GB/2 * 1,2 + 50 GB)

3) RAM = (colstore tables footprint * 2/4 + rowstore tables footprint /1.5) * C1) + 50 GB (HANA Cache and Additional Services)

SAP HANA Sizing | Maha Vishnu | LinkedIn

what the hell is C1 ??? The speed of light ?

And of course, all those formulas give totally different results...

- By report:

1) /SDF/HDB_SIZING

1872170 - Suite on HANA and S/4 HANA sizing report

Here I'm not sure, if it can be used for ERP only, or also for SRM, etc.

2) /SDF/HANA_BW_SIZING - this is probably the only point, which is quite clear.

Many thanks in advance for your advice!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Symon,

In my understanding, C1 means source database specific compression factor.

If you already have live systems and program supported to run on, then it is better to use sizing program.

BW -> Note 2296290 - New Sizing Report for BW on HANA

ERP/SRM -> Note 2296290 - New Sizing Report for BW on HANA

For non sizing program supported, maybe you can use HANA quick sizer or note 1514966 - SAP HANA 1.0: Sizing SAP In-Memory Database.

Regards,

Ning

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ning,

many thanks for your answer, I consider it really helpful!

I have missed the PDF attachment from note 1514966! It is very close to what they say on saphanatutorial.com

Just it leaves me puzzled about the sizing of the disks.

saphanatutorial recommends Disk(persistence) = 4*RAM while note 1514966 says Disk(persistence)=RAM and then they say additional space for exports, backups, etc. so that in the end it is something like Disk(persistence)= 3*RAM.

I think, that Disk(persistence) can't be equal to the RAM, as there might be "warm" data - tables which are not automatically loaded in the memory, so the data in the persistence storage can be (much) more than what there is in the memory.

And finally, I wanted to ask you if you've really got the note about ERP/SRM right ? Because I found:

For ERP/SRM - 1872170 - Suite on HANA and S/4 HANA sizing report

For BW - 1736976 - Sizing Report for BW on HANA

Note 2296290 - New Sizing Report for BW on HANA looks really weird, as they are not even mentioning the name of the report...

Many thanks, once again!

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Symon,

For disk sizing of SAP HANA Appliance, please check the picture below:

The minimum size for the data volume is equal to the size of the main memory plus additional space for exports and executables. SAP recommends reserving approximately another 2-3 times the RAM value for these purposes.

Note: There may be some difference for data volume size in HANA TDI compared with the picture above.

For ERP/SRM on HANA sizing, you can also refer to note 1793345 - Sizing for SAP Suite on HANA. (In my understanding, SAP Business Suite contains Supplier Relationship Management.)

For BW on HANA sizing, the report /SDF/HANA_BW_SIZING has been enhanced with additional function as mentioned in note 2296290, you can still use it.

Regards,

Ning

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Many thanks, Ning,

you are providing some very useful input here!

I have no idea where you've got that screenshot from, but it supports the statement of saphanatutorial.com, where disk size should be 4 * RAM.

And still it's not clear if this will be enough for binaries, export, etc. but I rather think,

that it will be. Many thanks for specifying this as well.

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Symon,

The picture above is from HA200 SAP HANA Installation&Operations SPS10 training guide.

The whole explanation is (also from the same guide):

Regards,

Ning

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ning,

could you please kindly (or someone else) advise how to do the sizing for Enterprise portal (pure Java) ? The script from get_size.zip can't be used, as there is now DDNTT table in Java databases...

Many thanks in advance!

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Symon,

Since the original question is clear, please close it and open a new thread regarding to EP on HANA sizing (then please wait for other SCN members' helpful replies).

For EP on HANA sizing, I'm not familiar with...Sorry about that.

Regards,

Ning

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Many thanks, I'll do that!

Answers (0)