cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Unexpected behavior" when choosing Oracle Client as Driver for relational connection

dohaidang_le
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

i'm getting the "Unexpected behavior" when choosing Oracle client for relational connection in Information Design Tool (4.2 SP2)

The tool cscheck.exe is showing no error with access driver or middleware

However, the ping check with cscheck.exe return also "Unexpected Behavior"

Here is some additional information that may be helpful:

- Before installing BI Platform Clients, we have only 32bit Oracle Client in the PC, the ORACLE_HOME was not set at that time.

-After installing the BI Platform Clients and also Data Services, we installed the 64bit Instant Client, since it is mandatory to the 64 bit Data Services Designer.

- After that, we set ORACLE_HOME pointing to the folder where the 32bit Oracle Client was installed. The PATH was also set pointing to the tnsnames.ora of the 32bit Oracle Client.

Any help will be kindly appreciated.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

In BI 4.x environments, there is no need to configure Oracle_Home directory.

Also, make sure that you have installed Administrator Client.  (Only Administrator client is supported)

As you have installed both 32 bit and 64 bit oracle client drivers on same machine, you need to check Environment Variables on the machine where you have installed the same.

Environment variables must be in following sequence:

1. Path of 64 bit drivers:
Example: C:\Oracle\product\11.2.0\64 bit client\bin;

2. Path of 32 bit drivers:
C:\Oracle\product\11.2.0\32 bit client\bin;

Do this on all the nodes of BO servers.

Once above thing is done, configure TNS files using oracle 'Local Net Service Name Configuration' wizard.

Refer following link:Oracle OCI Client Relational Connections - Business Intelligence (BusinessObjects) - SCN Wiki

Once this is done, restart your SIA and client tools and see if it helps.

Also refer below link for JDBC driver configuration:

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-49847

Regards,

Mithilesh

dohaidang_le
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mithilesh,

thank you for your reponse. You mean I have to install both the Oracle Administrator Client 32 bit and 64 bit and configure the PATH variable like you say on all client and server machines?

Regards,

Dang Le

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You will need 32 bit Instant client on client machine where you are using BO client tools such as Webi rich client, IDT, UDT etc.

As BO client tools are 32 bit, you have to install 32 bit drivers on those machines.

On BO sever, you will have to install 64 bit client so that you will be able report run reports from BI launchpad.

On those machines where there is need of both 32 bit and 64 bit applications like IDT and DS designer as you have mentioned, you will have to install both 32 bit and 64 bit administrator client and configure the path variable.

Regards,

Mithilesh

dohaidang_le
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mithilesh,

i got both the clients installed in the deverloper client and the PATH-variable configured. Now IDT show this error when i choose oracle client

cscheck on middleware returns this

The server is 64-bit UNIX and there is only the 64-bit oracle client there. I will try to get the server guys to install the 32-bit client there.

However, i think that the error i'm receiving in IDT and cscheck have nothing to do with the server.

Regards,

Dang Le

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dang,

No need to install 32 bit client on server as its irrelevant.

On your client machine, the problem is with environment variables only.

Kindly confirm if you have Administrator client (Both 32 and 64 bit).

Kindly set the environment variables in following sequence and see if it helps:

1. Path of 64 bit client drivers

2. path of 32 bit drivers.

Example:

Path=C:\Oracle\64-bit-instantclient11\bin;C:\Oracle\32-bit-instantclient11\bin

Now, check using cschek or tnsping or SQLPLUS.

If in case the same issue is seen, try adding environment variables in Oracle_Home (I don't think this will help but still just give it a try)

Again if the same issue is seen, refer following KBA and see if it helps:

1378354 - If we create the webi document, the error occured "The specified module could not bi found(dbd_oci.dll), (WIS 10901)"

If in case, you still see the same issue, completely remove 32bit and 64 bit drivers and install the Administrator clients as mentioned in following link:

https://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/Oracle+OCI+Client+Relational+Connections

Note: Do above things on your client machine only.

Regards,

Mithilesh