cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specification nutrient inheritance

espenl
Explorer
0 Kudos

I'm struggling with inheritance for nutrient composition.

For this customer,, there are multiple specifications that have the same content for vitamins and minerals, but the fat content changes.

E.g.

Ingredient 1Ingredient 2

Vitamin A - 10mg

Vitamin B - 20mg

Vitamin C - 20mg

Iron            1g

Magnesium 2g

Fat            2g

Protein      3g

Vitamin A - 10mg

Vitamin B - 20mg

Vitamin C - 20mg

Iron            1g

Magnesium 2g

Fat            12g

Protein      23g

Only difference is fat and protein. I would to inherit vitamins and minerals, but enter fat separately. THe ideal solution would allow me to enter fat content and get the derived fatty acid composition.

Anybody with any good pointers or experience?

Regards,

Espen Leknes

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Espen

inheritance is an "tricky" option to use. . You need to check first your customizing. In customizing it is defined which spec types can be used as "source" objects and which as target objects for inheritance. IN most cases e.g. REAL_GRP can be the source a,d REAL_SUB the target. BUt other options exists.

Then as explained by Simon: you need to set up the "inheritance relation" using a "template" and you must make sure that the "inheritance job"  runs. With higher SAP version (not sure. SAP ERP EnhPAck 3 or 5) the inheritance options was "improved". Not sure if you must activate the Business Functions. We are not using inheritance.

All the topics as "with overwriting" etc. as explained by Simon are quite "nice" feature. But honestly: YOU MUST BE SUPER PERFECT USER to really use inheritance in "tricky" situations.

INheritance as such has more flexibility than "referencing". Therefore: in you case you can "inherit" most of the data. You have two options. Either you "exclude" the fat/protein part form inheritance (and this is possible) or you overwrite the value at target spec.

BUT PAY ATTENTION: we have no "mass exchange mode" for changing inheritance templates. Currently because of new OCC version we have some new options to import "inheritance" relations in the system.

Check e.g.

You will find some "rare" discussion in the EHS environment in contetx of: how to use "inheritance" properly.

C.B.

PS: how you use in real life either "Referencing" and "Inheritance" can be influecned by the fact: you use "rule sets" (as part of EHS Expert Server)

PPS: if you look on WWI reports. if you use Inheritance is very very very tricky to get the "right" change marks.  (and there is a "check" box to look at on "inheritance level" and you need to check your generation variant

Simon_Z
Associate
Associate
0 Kudos

Hi Espen,

you need to make sure that you first have an inheritance template set up. This is not possible in the the NWBC WEB-UI. Therefore you need to go to SAP GUI transaction CG02.

In CG02 - click on edit - specification - inheritance - edit templates.

Then add a new inheritance template for nutrients.

then click on: value assignemnt type selection

and select the property tree where the nutrient composition is available

then flag the "Nutrient Composition".

Once you have created this new inheritance template, you should be able to select it in the inheritance / relathionship tab in the web-ui.

Kind regards,

Simon

espenl
Explorer
0 Kudos

Inheritance tempate created OK. Question is regarding multiple inheritance, not just getting a single inheritance going.

Regards,

Espen Leknes

Simon_Z
Associate
Associate
0 Kudos

Hi Espen,

ok I see: you want to keep the interited values for vitamins and minerals in the new spec but manually change the values for fat and protein.

Have you tried the buttons "Overwrite Permanently" and "Overwrite Temporarily" in the web-ui?

This should allow you to manually overwrite only some of the inherited values.

But inheriting only some values of a certain value assignemnet and excluding others and keeping them editable whilst keeping the inheritance active is not possible from my knowledge.

If this manual overwrite does not work for you, you might also consider working with copy templates instead of inheritance templates. E.g. the function "import data" or "you can also - copy specification".

Good luck.

Simon

Simon_Z
Associate
Associate
0 Kudos

EHS Specification Inheritance Relationship

Overwrite Permanently / Overwrite Temporarily

espenl
Explorer
0 Kudos

I've considered using overwrite, but as far as I understand i would struggle if I ever change my "mother" template, e.g. the amount if iron goes from 21mg to 22mg for a species of animal.

espen

Simon_Z
Associate
Associate
0 Kudos

Yes that is correct, if you use overwrite you basically break the inheritance. If you update the original spec - the update is not reflected in the target spec after the inheritance has been broken.

When the master spec changes - then you would need to run a mass change on all affected "target specs". This could be possible with either EHS Expert Rule Set or a custom enhancement.

You could also consider creating two "Nutrient Value Assignements" in your property tree. One value assignement (e.g. SAP standard nutrient VAT) is always inherited from master spec to target spec and thus alwasys updated. And the other one is a custom Nurtient VAT which only contains fat and protein and is always manually maintained and changed.  When this is combined in a WWI report or other report, I would say it does not really matter were the values come from as long as they a nicely printed on the report.

Just some ideas. But yes... quite tricky.

Good luck. Simon

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think we need more info on how you intend to use this and where are you using this.  Do you want these as batch specifications?  Do you need these available in QM for testing?  Are you using a specific SAP solution?

Craig

espenl
Explorer
0 Kudos

The SAP solution is specifications as part of PLM WUI (PLM-WUI-RCP-Specification).

The specifications should later be used in QM, but that is further down the line.

espen

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, sorry.. I can't help you with that.  That's not an area I'm familar with.

Craig