cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universe/Dashboard on top of a Web Service

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

We have a requirement, where we have to show case currencies actual conversion rate.

To achieve this, I believe the best way is to use the Web Services, as web services currency conversions are updated automatically on a hourly/daily basis & we also have connector available for Web Services in Universe, Webi & Dashboards.

I had gone through the blog: BI4.1: Creating a universe on top of a Web Service & replicated the same at our end, however it is giving "-1" as result, irrespective of any two input currencies.

Below is the screenshot for the same:

I had also tried the embedded linked sample of Dashboard which is consuming the same Web Services for currency conversion from SAP BusinessObjects Dashboard Space, however results is same "-1".

Does the above web service requires user's authentication which is consumed in Dashboard & Semantic Layer?

Does anyone able to achieve any of the above approaches successfully. Please help me in identifying, where I am going wrong in above approaches.

Any idea of achieving the same through any other way around is highly appreciable.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Any idea on above mentioned issue.

: Kindly help me on this. Do you have any thoughts, where I am going wrong in implementing the below blog in practical scenario:

Or is there any other way around to achieve the same. Any pointers to above scenario is highly appreciable.

Thanks,

Shailendra

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not very sure about the issue but where you have maintained  the currency conversion rate?

is there any table from you are getting conversion rate?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Amit for your prompt response.

Actually the currency conversion rate is coming through a External Web service (Here is the WSDL: http://www.webservicex.com/CurrencyConvertor.asmx?wsdl)

I am consuming directly this WSDL URL into my Universe/ Webi Rich Client/Dashboard (as we can consume Web service in all of the tools mentioned).

All of the tools gives me response as "-1", after providing the input parameters i.e. three characters Country codes.

I thought of doing this with the help of Web services, as the web services automatically updates the currency conversion rates.

Do you know other way around for achieving the same?

Thanks,

Shailendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

Posting some screenshots which describes my workflow for your references:-

1. Select Web Service to create new document:

2. Provided the WSDL URL for currency conversion (i.e. http://www.webservicex.com/CurrencyConvertor.asmx?wsdl 😞

3. After clicking Submit, provided the input parameters like below screenshot:

4. Once we click on OK button to refresh the Custom Data Provider – Web Service, we get the following response:

Tried the same with IDT with the help of blog as well, however getting "-1" in response every time.

Any thought on this?

Is there any alternate approach to get the Currency Conversion Rate Result?

Thanks,

Shailendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Amit Kumar,

Any thoughts on the above approach?

Have you tried the above approach for Currency conversion or for getting stock quote?

If you have any inputs for getting currency conversion & stock quotes, kindly share some pointers to achieve the same.

- Shailendra

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry Shailendra...Web service is not working in my environment so not able to test this one.

might be other option you can try to maintain the conversion rate in the database table?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Amit. Appreciate your prompt response.

Could you please elaborate more on this approach?

Do you have any working example/sample for the same? Also, if we are maintaining the conversion rates in the database table, how are these rates updates? Can we introduce some mechanism to automate the updating of conversion rates in database tables?

Thanks,

Shailendra