cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact on old sales order BOM and routing if changes in new variant model.

former_member477577
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Business want to introduce new Variant materials  X,Y,Z with some changes to old variant materials A. Old variant material A has 5 days lead time MRP view 3 but as customer request grows this lead time should be reduced with multiple combination of variant. So business has decided to break this material A in multiple variant materials i.e. X,Y,Z.

Now breaking with new variant materials VC guy wants to use old material A variant model like Profile, BOM, routing, variant table, procedure and assign it new materials X,Y,Z  . He will make some changes to this variant model in variant table and procedure to fetch correct data. He is afraid that if he make some changes to variant table or in procedure  then it will have impact on old open orders.

I have suggested him to use ECM so will have new validity with his new changes.  I want to understand this is right approach or do we have any other alternate solution? Using ECM I believe there would be no impact on old open orders

Thanks for your immediate response.

Vipin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

keyur_mistry1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Vipin Khapre,

Yes VC model change always impact to the OLD open order. If we do not have ECM then we have to find out impacted open orders and handle impact manually. But this is not suggestible to do.

Okay you can go with the ECM but i will give you one more option which we implement for mine organisation.

That is, Create once characteristics called - CT_Configuration_date.

This new Cstics reference Cstics and which mapped with sales order creation date mapping.

Table - VBAP Filed name - ERDAT

Now which ever new tables and table or new logic are getting create, in that logic add this Cstics logic.

Ex - IF CT_Configuration_date >= 03.08.2016.

Table must create with "Config_valid_date_from" and "config_valid_date_To" So u can validate your data with expire date. U can close old table row and create new row with new validity date.

Without using of ECM and no impact to old orders you can develop this solution.

former_member477577
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Keyur,

Thanks for reply.

My concern is not limited to variant table but I also see there is impact on BOM and routing etc.

Suppose I am modifying constrain, procedure , configurable profile , class(200), class(300) there how will this CT_Configuration_date characteristics works?

may be what you are saying that we can write precondition or constraint or procedure like CT_Configuration_date >= 03.08.2016 condition?

I think we can also same kind of characteristic for BOM or routing changes?

I can think about this one but with ECM. ECM will help to get change management and reporting too...

Vipin

keyur_mistry1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Yes ECM will provide you solution with more features. I just gave you one option.

This will work not only work for table but for any object dependency. You can solve BOM & Routing solution too.

I just gave you one example. 

former_member477577
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Keyur.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Vipin,

My understanding is you are using a configurable material say X but now your business want to create new set of material Y , Z , N .... your are suggesting your business analyst to copy existing material , VC data , BOM , routing .... and create these new data. You want to use same master data using ECM so that with date effectivity open orders will not be hampered with changes.

I have been at your place I would have did same but with a difference that I would have created new dependencies , variant table etc by copying the old one. Instead of  using the existing one, it will reduce the effort and complexity in maintaining new rules , also once all the open orders are closed you can discontinue the old material and its master data.

Also, while creating new set of data , use ECM since beginning so that you will have all history of changes and reports useful for future.

Thanks

Ritesh

former_member477577
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Ritesh..

My first solution approach was in same way but wanted to explore more on SCN platform.

Thanks again for valuable inputs.

Vipin

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You are welcome, I also suggest please setup a process to always use ECM/OCM for all VC data. It will help you avoiding to be in a same situation again.

Thanks

Ritesh