cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"The repository does not contain all the required definitions. Only an Administrator can update it." Message at Connection

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am consistently receiving the message "The repository does not contain all the required definitions. Only an Administrator can change it." when I attempt to connect to a repository, what is this message stating and what actions are necessary for remediation?  Thank you in advance. Mike

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member200945
Contributor
0 Kudos

Most likely your powerdesigner has more components installed than the repository has.

Go to Control Panel->Programs and Features. Right click SAP Powerdesigner xx and select

Change. Select Modify. Now you can see all components you have installed.

When someone installs the repository, if his/her Powerdesigner doesn't have a component that you

have, you will get the error.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Phillip, thank you for the quick response, I'm thinking the error that follows the above error is the most telling? The error message content is "The connection failed because the respository has not been installed on this database.", this indicates the schema hasn't been applied to the identified database, correct? I found a thread on this Discussion, 3601783 but the Insert Link tool doesn't seem to be working correctly. Can you verify my assumption is correct. Lastly is there SAP PowerDesigner documentation that contains the error messages I can use? Thank you once again, /m

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

What DBMS is your repository installed on?  Is you connection the database owner?

Remember, you must connect directly as the admin in order to install/upgrade tables in the repository.

That connection cannot be performed via the repository proxy with only the repository login/password.  It must be done using the repository admin login/password AND a DBMS login/password.

To upgrade/install the repository you MUST connect directly via ODBC DSN with the repository admin/password AND the DBMS login/password.  That login MUST be the owner of the database/schema that contains the repository.  In the case of MSSQL that login MUST be the dbo and default to the repository database as part of the login.  PD does not attempt to set/use a specific schema/database as part of the login process (so a system admin login, such as 'sa' is not useful in this case).  You must set up the defaults for that login on the DBMS side to be in the database when the dbms login is complete.

Once upgraded/installed, if you use another dbms login in the DNS (e.g. aliased as 'guest', etc) to access the repository tables as a normal repository user (e.g. when connecting directly or via proxy) ensure that those user(s) have full CRUD (RW) privileges to ALL tables in the database, especially if new ones have been added by the update (this type of grant is not performed by the script generated by PD - PD does not take care of DBMS permissions).  Remember, regardless of the repository user's privileges w.r.t repository objects, the DBMS connection needs rights to all the tables in the repository.

Also, as mentioned, if the repository was originally installed with a lower license level (e.g. PhysicalModeler) and you are now connecting with a higher level (e.g. EnterpriseArchitect) the missing tables need to be installed as above by connecting to the repository directly as admin in order to install the missing tables/upgrade.

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chris, thanks for the quick follow-up. It is an Oracle database.

I do not have Administrator rights and I'm attempting to Connect to the Repository so I can walk through our processes to take screen shots and author Work Instructions.

I am not attempting to install/upgrade tables, I am working under the assumption that everything has been installed and the environment is ready and available for use. (does the error dialog message inform me otherwise?)

We are not using a repository proxy.

I know we have a full license for PowerDesigner.

Does this provide any additional information?

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

In that case, the DBMS user you are connecting as is either not the schema owner, or it is set up to use the wrong schema or only the login and an empty database instance/schema were set up for you by the Oracle admins.

If the user is the schema owner or at least has the necessary rights (create, read, update, delete tables in the schema), then just continue with what you are doing.  You will have an empty repository, but may be able to create your snapshots and instructions.  When you are connecting to the repository as admin for the first time and are told by PD that the schema does not exist, you should have the option to install the repository tables - proceed and let PD generate the script and apply it.  You will need to provide a password for the repository admin user as part of this.  This will be a new repository from any other repository you have. 

Unfortunately, if you are attempting to connect to an existing repository, then something has not been set up on the Oracle side correctly.  Check the ODBC DNS connection properties/tnsnames.ora settings.  Try to connect to the database directly using an Oracle utility such as SQLPlus as that user and see if you can see the tables/select from one of them (e.g. select count(*) from PMOBJT).

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Chris, it seems the PowerDesigner Repository schema hasn't been applied to the database. Have a great day.

Answers (0)