cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use CDS views in HANA Calculation view?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am working on S4 HANA POC. Can someone please explain the following scenarios

1. How to use CDS view in HANA views? (Calculation view or Analytical)

Can we consume CDS view in HANA view and make report on top of that?

2. How to consume CDS view in BW HANA?

Thanks in Advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

pfefferf
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Karun.

Regarding your 1st question: If you are talking about HANA CDS Views and not ABAP CDS Views, you can consume it directly as data source in a HANA Calculation view.

Regarding your 2nd question: An ABAP CDS view and a HANA CDS view (via a Calc. View) can be consumed for instance via an Open ODS View.

Regards,

Florian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Florian.

I appreciate your quick response.

What about ABAP based CDS views consumption in HANA views? is it possible?

if possible, please let me know.(Any documents related)

For HANA CDS views also please provide me

when I am searching I found lot of material but I am confusing between ABAP based CDS and HANA CDS views

Thank you

Karun

pfefferf
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Per default it is not possible to use an ABAP CDS view in a HANA Calc. View. I think you could use the generated view/function available on the HANA database, but I would not got that way, that an HANA native object is depending on an ABAP managed artifact (at least in that case).

I think you should be first clear which way you wanna go. Do you wanna have

• only ABAP managed artifacts
  • only HANA managed artifacts
  • or a mixture of both worlds.

Then you can define your development strategy considering different aspects (development, lifecycle management ...).

Regarding CDS you have to consider that it is one specification for which one implementation exists on the ABAP layer (ABAP CDS) and one on the HANA layer. Here are the references:

Regards,

Florian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Florian,

we are going to start work on HANA managed artifacts.

To create CDS views:

I understand that we can create CDS views in  HANA studio ABAP perspective or

Eclipse based  ABAP perspective(Mars2) correct me if i am wrong

Just to know myself normally  where the ABAP CDS views create?

My understanding is CDS views created in ABAP application having backed  ECC(Not S4) is called ABAP CDS. Correct me if I am wrong

Thank you

Karun

pfefferf
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You say, you wanna work with HANA managed artifacts. Then you say, you wanna create ABAP CDS views which are ABAP managed. A little bit confusing .

To create ABAP CDS views you have to install the ABAP Development Tools, either in a standard Eclipse installation or in a compatible HANA studio version. Just add the repository site as described here: SAP Development Tools.

ABAP CDS views are supported since NetWeaver 7.40. If you are using it with an ECC or S/4 system does not matter. For an S/4 system ABAP CDS views are a core pillar for analytics (the virtual data model is set up with such views).

Regards,

Florian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Florian,

sorry for confusing. even I am  confusing myself which is ABAP CDS and which is HANA CDS as I couldn't differentiate properly 

Could you please let me know how to start creation of HANA CDS views

1. l watched the following video,It shows how to create S/4 HANA CDS view in ABAP Eclipse

SAP HANA Academy - SAP S/4HANA: Core Data Services - 03 Creating Basic Views - YouTube

2. In other article I found the following steps to create CDS view in HANA studio Development Perspective
Procedure

1. Start the SAP HANA studio.
  2. Open the SAP HANA Development perspective.
  3. Open the Project Explorer view.
  4. Create the CDS-definition file which will contain the view you define in the following steps.Browse to the folder in your project workspace where you want to create the new CDS-definition file and perform the following steps:
    1. Right-click the folder where you want to save the view-definition file and choose Start of the navigation path New

What is the difference between 1 & 2?

Both are the steps to create HANA CDS?

Thank you

Karun

pfefferf
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The video shows the creation of an ABAP CDS View. The second one describes the creation of a CDS definition file which can contain HANA CDS views, but also CDS entities and types.

The CDS reference linked above contains all details regarding the CDS Syntax on HANA.

You can check for instance the available OpenSAP courses for SAP HANA Development (in week 2 of course Next Steps in Software Development on SAP HANA - Thomas Jung and Rich Heilman details on CDS are provided).

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

surajit1922

To use ABAP CDS views into HANA calculation view below are the steps,

1. when an ABAP CDS view is created, generally @AbapCatalog.sqlViewName: is also defined. This sqlView is generated as a database view and stored in SAPABAP1 schema.

2. We can use the same sqlView into the projection of HANA calculation view

Hope it helps.

crepmaster
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello in my case won't complety work. No rows are extracted , even only checking the preview. I'm using IFCIACTPLNJEIC for exemple and i have the same issue all cds view i want to use in my projection.

Am i missing something?

harrygallo
Explorer
0 Kudos

crepmaster, are you doing this preview in a 2 client system? The client handling algorithm may be using client number which is your ABAP client and has no data.

Curious if you got this working.