Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sap Logon, why "delete" is without a confirm?

paolo_baruffaldi
Participant
0 Kudos

Giving support to users I have to ask a question: why the deleting of sap connections is, in Sap Logon window, without a confirmation prompt?

Once a week I have someone calling me and saying "I have lost the link to connect to server xxx..."

On Mac Os X this action is possible simply pressing keys shift + canc when sap logon window has the focus.

Seen with SAG GUI Java, 7.30.x & 7.40.x

• SAP Managed Tags:
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That is a good question. I solve this issue by using a central configuration file stored on a server, to which users only have read access. Everyone's SAPLogon is configured to use the central file. They can't edit or delete the connections. They can add their own custom ones (and edit or delete those) if they want, but the ones I deliver are "set in stone" (until I edit them myself, anyway).

This also makes it much easier to deliver updates to the configuration when there's a change in our landscape.

Cheers,

Matt

• SAP Managed Tags:
5 REPLIES 5

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That is a good question. I solve this issue by using a central configuration file stored on a server, to which users only have read access. Everyone's SAPLogon is configured to use the central file. They can't edit or delete the connections. They can add their own custom ones (and edit or delete those) if they want, but the ones I deliver are "set in stone" (until I edit them myself, anyway).

This also makes it much easier to deliver updates to the configuration when there's a change in our landscape.

Cheers,

Matt

• SAP Managed Tags:

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Paulo,

You should post this as a development request - note 11

Regards,

Jude

• SAP Managed Tags:

0 Kudos

I'll consider subscribing to SAP Customer Influence: Enterprise Home,

thank you

• SAP Managed Tags:

former_member194094
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Paolo,

I agree this is definetely somethin the Java GUI development should look at. For SAP GUI for Windows, a "delete system entry" prompt exist. No reason it should not be consistent with SAP UI for Java in that regards

Kind regards,

Eric

• SAP Managed Tags:

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Paolo,

SAP GUI for Java comes with the feature to have central configuration files from day one.

This is, for several reasons, the recommended approach to provide connections to the users.

As Matt already mentioned, connections distributed this way can neither be deleted nor changed in the SAP Logon window.

If someone created an additional connection and has accidentally deleted it, the person should be able to select the system name from the list of systems and select a group received from the message server, which should not be a big thing.

In contrary, SAP GUI for Windows long time did not have central configuration files and many customers still do not use this feature. Also in SAP GUI for Windows, deleting a connection has the potential to break shortcuts, therefore the confirmation dialog.

We could remove the shift-del keyboard shortcut to prevent accidental deletion by pressing that uncommon key combination, but when you want to delete several connections, you do not like to be asked every time for confirmation in an additional dialog.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

• SAP Managed Tags: